Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

33 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Apparently the number of suicides on the Island is way, spastically, above the number in the U.K. no wonder when all we have to look forward to is another one or two years of people moaning about the promenade, it is mind numbing to say the least.   The ones who have the least knowledge have the most to say, all fu....g experts.

Eh???

47 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The ones who have the least knowledge have the most to say, all fu....g experts.

Yes the experts - "we need to dig to 1.7m" - "oh wait no we don't".

"Let's lay some concrete, oops it cracked" - "now we've fixed it so it won't crack, oops it's still cracking!". 

And the experts do have a lot to say on their MyProm website! 

1 hour ago, finlo said:
1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Apparently the number of suicides on the Island is way, spastically, above the number in the U.K. no wonder when all we have to look forward to is another one or two years of people moaning about the promenade, it is mind numbing to say the least.   The ones who have the least knowledge have the most to say, all fu....g experts.

Think you need to edit that!

I would guess just an auto correct brain fart. HS does not those terms.

I see they have now drilled out a couple of samples in the cracking red concrete presumably to find out what is going wrong. 

Now I'm no big city structural engineer but you would think this is something they should have done before laying a shitload more of the stuff. 

Edited by Dave Hedgehog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I see they have now drilled out a couple of samples in the cracking red concrete presumably to find out what is going wrong. 

Now I'm no big city structural engineer but you would think this is something they should have done before laying a shitload more of the stuff. 

Standard procedure when laying any concrete is to produce cube samples (and carry out other standard tests). Maybe this was done. 

Edited by gettafa

28 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It seems that from next Monday (2nd) another chunk of the Promenade, from Granville Street to the old Rendezvous Corner will be fenced off and dug up, even though there's no sign of any of the current sections being finished and re-opened.

https://www.myprom.im/updates/latest-news/update-re-works-starting-2-september-2019

That date ties in nicely with shutting North Quay/ Lord Street inward bound until February. The little jokers. Anything to get the active travel quota up.

Edited by english zloty
  • Haha 3

It's open to the DOI though. I wonder sometimes what happens when they've wrecked so many businesses that the tax take drops and the money starts to run out. Road taxes up again?

'They',  really need to create a fairer system for, 'road tax'. It's all over the place at the moment, e.g. my big van is only half the tax of my car. The car is used for ten miles a week, the van is usually a few hundred miles a week. Which pollutes the most and which wears the road out most? Totally illogical and ignorant of science.

NO  'road tax', VED or whatever you wish to call it and replace with a fuel tax at purchase, then it's all fair for everyone. Maybe, a la Norway where commercial users pay less fuel tax.

No need for consultants or re inventing the wheel, just copy good practice already in existence.

• Like 1

Someone said it was all to keep the services running, laying the pipes etc, that must be the biggest headache.   I just hope that the gas, water, electric and MT take the opportunity to, do any work now and do not start digging bits up once it has been finished as is the normal practice.   If you look at the potholes etc they usually occur where there has been digging done by one of the services, and all those strips of tarmac they put in weakens the surface of the roads.  Regarding compo a friend of mine reckons that the businesses in town did not get any and that was a nightmare with the drilling and dust.   The next thing will be when the buildings are dropped in the street and the new venture is under way that will be more fun.

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Someone said it was all to keep the services running, laying the pipes etc, that must be the biggest headache.   I just hope that the gas, water, electric and MT take the opportunity to, do any work now and do not start digging bits up once it has been finished as is the normal practice.   If you look at the potholes etc they usually occur where there has been digging done by one of the services, and all those strips of tarmac they put in weakens the surface of the roads.  Regarding compo a friend of mine reckons that the businesses in town did not get any and that was a nightmare with the drilling and dust.   The next thing will be when the buildings are dropped in the street and the new venture is under way that will be more fun.

hahahahahahahahaha - just be prepared for "operation dig up the prom again" once it is nicely finished

• Like 1