Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

40 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Depends what you eat.

I agree he was a fall guy

Personally if someone gets paid upwards of 106k a year it should come with responsibilities and the buck should stop there. Anyone who accepts the post of CEO in DOI should know what the job entails. Sadly although I'm sure he's a nice guy good bosses can't be as its results that matter. Especially as a Civil servant when you , in effect , are looking after tax payers money. This seems to have been lost by most CS and even lots of MHK's. Personally I hate seeing anyone lose there job but in my honest opinion there was no other option. Others need to go too or its going to be rinse repeat for lots of years. Not sure if we are going to see that but Jeff Robinson and Longworth must both be on thin ice for the part they have played in the last few years cockups . 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Personally if someone gets paid upwards of 106k a year it should come with responsibilities and the buck should stop there. Anyone who accepts the post of CEO in DOI should know what the job entails. Sadly although I'm sure he's a nice guy good bosses can't be as its results that matter. Especially as a Civil servant when you , in effect , are looking after tax payers money. This seems to have been lost by most CS and even lots of MHK's. Personally I hate seeing anyone lose there job but in my honest opinion there was no other option. Others need to go too or its going to be rinse repeat for lots of years. Not sure if we are going to see that but Jeff Robinson and Longworth must both be on thin ice for the part they have played in the last few years cockups . 

He didn't lose it though, he quit with immediate effect.

Where did it go wrong?

Minister for Infrastructure, David Cretney MHK, commented:

'I am very pleased to be able to announce this appointment. Having worked with Nick Black at DCCL I believe he is a dedicated and conscientious officer who is well aware, as I am, of the challenges facing all Government Departments. He follows an excellent Chief Executive in Ian Thompson who together with his senior management team has been at the forefront of adapting to changed financial circumstances facing Government and has quietly been making the Department into a much more efficient organisation. I have led this politically with the support of my Departmental colleagues and that work continues. '

image.png.a2ea1c3c77694f2ef7b132590991d90b.png

8 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

He didn't lose it though, he quit with immediate effect.

Where did it go wrong?

Minister for Infrastructure, David Cretney MHK, commented:

'I am very pleased to be able to announce this appointment. Having worked with Nick Black at DCCL I believe he is a dedicated and conscientious officer who is well aware, as I am, of the challenges facing all Government Departments. He follows an excellent Chief Executive in Ian Thompson who together with his senior management team has been at the forefront of adapting to changed financial circumstances facing Government and has quietly been making the Department into a much more efficient organisation. I have led this politically with the support of my Departmental colleagues and that work continues. '

image.png.a2ea1c3c77694f2ef7b132590991d90b.png

I'm pretty sure he didn't quit . Anyone knows who works in public sector you never throw the towel in as you lose too much money. Why you think he quit ?? 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

I'm pretty sure he never quit . Anyone knows who works in public sector you never quit as you lose too much money. Why you think he quit ?? 

So we have Cretney to thank for all this , Mr Ineffectual himself  , thats where the rot appeared to have started , followed by Gawne   this whole department requires a root and branch review ,  far too big and totally out of control .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I'm pretty sure he didn't quit . Anyone knows who works in public sector you never throw the towel in as you lose too much money. Why you think he quit ?? 

The chief executive of the Isle of Man Department of Infrastructure (DOI) has left the job with "immediate effect", the government has said.

Doesn't sound like a planned or orderly transition. Wouldn't you expect the replacement to be in place before such a senior post is vacated?

The ship has taken on water and is listing badly so who leaves first? The captain or ? 

The roadway from Broadway to Esplande which encompasses the cross over of the twin horse tram lines and the small chicane is something to observe.   I watched with interest this morning whilst walking.  The vehicles using the chicane proceeding in a southerly direction over the tramlines merging onto the shared roadway utilise the system well (although no horse trams atm)  However, buses and other such large vehicles have to swing out from the chicane and encroach onto the oncoming carriageway thus causing vehicle's travelling in a northerly direction to slow and give way.  Another consequence of the narrow road widths and lack of proper engineering planning.  Wait for the horse trams to come into play and and this will be a real pinch point.

3 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

The roadway from Broadway to Esplande which encompasses the cross over of the twin horse tram lines and the small chicane is something to observe.   I watched with interest this morning whilst walking.  The vehicles using the chicane proceeding in a southerly direction over the tramlines merging onto the shared roadway utilise the system well (although no horse trams atm)  However, buses and other such large vehicles have to swing out from the chicane and encroach onto the oncoming carriageway thus causing vehicle's travelling in a northerly direction to slow and give way.  Another consequence of the narrow road widths and lack of proper engineering planning.  Wait for the horse trams to come into play and and this will be a real pinch point.

Not really, because the bus will have been stuck behind the horse tram since the Queens and will already have half a mile of traffic waiting behind it.

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

The ship has taken on water and is listing badly so who leaves first? The captain or ? 

In lots of CS culture it's every man for himself and grab as much as you can. And if that means you've got your wheelbarrow in the lifeboat denying others a seat, so be it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

You've also got poorly parked cars on the landside of the road which stick out into the northbound traffic causing further hazards. 

• Like 1

The really funny thing here is that what they have created in the real world bears no resemblance to what planning permission was granted for. There's no parking shown here by the tram crossing... there's also only a single tram line crossing the traffic flow - but in the real world it's double track. I'm not sure planning would let a private individual get away with such large deviations. 

image.png.bb1c6a40551bc290ff7b077ba150bee0.png

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

The really funny thing here is that what they have created in the real world bears no resemblance to what planning permission was granted for. There's no parking shown here by the tram crossing... there's also only a single tram line crossing the traffic flow - but in the real world it's double track. I'm not sure planning would let a private individual get away with such large deviations. 

Quite. Maybe sent a message to planning enforcement. Doesn't cost anything, and will tie them up in knots further.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Although it would be quite funny to see, I don't think I could take any more roadworks while they fix their mess. 

Thinking about it, it was probably down to the signalling issue that they changed it, but doubt planning was changed to reflect it...