Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

21 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes I inow what the various pipes , cables etc are but thats how it was left and covered over and now resurfaced. There was some additions from memory done after this picture was taken. From my days doing groundworks none of that is legal or safe . Cables going directly over gas pipes etc. I really haven't a clue how that was signed off . Its a disgrace .

Agreed. All illegal and not good for the next folk having to work there. From memory services are supposed to be a minimum 300 mm apart and at differing depths according to what they are (sorry, you know this, but others may not).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Agreed. All illegal and not good for the next folk having to work there. From memory services are supposed to be a minimum 300 mm apart and at differing depths according to what they are (sorry, you know this, but others may not).

Most of that will have to be a hand dig so like you say no fun for the guys having to do it or repair , replace it  and god help us if the gas main goes . Yes your right re gaps etc and should never lay on top of others directly . Mind blowing really. I so get that it would have been a real problem to sort it out as it should be but no attempt was made at all . Ohh well , I'm to old to worry about getting the call 🤣🤣

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, english zloty said:

https://www.manxutilities.im/media/2181/m120-typical-trench-section.pdf

Not as if there isn't a drawing or something available.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Also a complete lack of warning tape. I jsut hope none of the electrical cables are HV that close to gas mains. Telecom ducts (grey) running under the gas pipe which looks to be resting on them.

The warning tape would be the last thing to go on. Would be silly to put it on at that stage as it would blow away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Illegal?

Technically under Regulations supported by HSE guidance. This provides HSE with enforcement powers. I would guess an NEC contract such as this comes with a schedule of design standards such as helpfully attached above and without a variation from the Engineer would be a breach of contract (theoretically) because HSE best practice is being compromised. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The warning tape would be the last thing to go on. Would be silly to put it on at that stage as it would blow away.

Where the new buried water pipe emerges there is no tape. Likewise, where the mass of buried grey telecom ducts emerge there is no tape. Same as the black cables that snake away no tape seen where they are buried.

The whole point of the tape is that it continous along the length of the service is there to identify & protect. 

When bad workmanship is obvious in the finish of the job, then you have to ask what did they get away with where you can't see it. Time will tell. It always does.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Aren't these things signed off by building control or something similar?

No, the clue is in the name. They will pass comment on utiltiies entering a building but the utilties network outside in the street is outside their remit. However, there were well paid professional engineers on the design team who could and should have been flagging these things up from the beginning. Start as you meant to go on.

But from what I've heard the works began before the utilties had any time to survey and plan the network alterations and were on catchup almost from day one. All because a politico wanted to brag they had got it underway.

Which would be some small comfort as opposed to scenario that they had planned and co-ordianted this job to the nth degree and still ended up where they did.

There are strict regulations concerning the depths and separation of buried services. These have been arrived at through long experience, quite possibly involving a few fatalities along the way.

If anybody has actually signed off that arrangement in the picture posted above then they are a) very stupid or b) they were "leaned on" to do so and intended to retire shortly afterwards somewhere very far away. Probably sunny with a hard-standing for their wheelbarrow.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There are strict regulations concerning the depths and separation of buried services. These have been arrived at through long experience, quite possibly involving a few fatalities along the way.

If anybody has actually signed off that arrangement in the picture posted above then they are a) very stupid or b) they were "leaned on" to do so and intended to retire shortly afterwards somewhere very far away. Probably sunny with a hard-standing for their wheelbarrow.

Or they just don't care.