Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

15 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

As I said a few posts above this doesnt comply with any acceptable building practices and no Building control officer , clerk of the works , Forman or other person in authority who I have known on sites would have allowed this and no way would they let it be backfilled until its put right. This area we are taliking about , a mixture of new and old supplies lay open for a considerable time with nothing getting done. While in itself your probably right as such that its not illegal , but it doesnt meet building control policy on so many grounds and I'm sure if anything happened and a explosion caused the supply authorities , contractors and the likes would be culpable and find themselves in court both civil and high court. A further issue is my experience the supply authorities would tell you where they wanted the trenches , depth before they put in the cables/pipes etc  and if not done to there and building control standards they wouldn't put in there supply.  

But unless the contract specifies such standard then the way things work now is that,  what was once an RE and now just a NEC supervisor, would be told to go and whistle.

I'm still not sure what building control you are referring to and how it would apply here. 

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But unless the contract specifies such standard then the way things work now is that,  what was once an RE and now just a NEC supervisor, would be told to go and whistle.

I'm still not sure what building control you are referring to and how it would apply here. 

if i was building another house on my property and installed the services as they are done on the prom i'd be having to redo them to get them passed,  government job = fuck the standards that they make everyone else work to.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WTF said:

if i was building another house on my property and installed the services as they are done on the prom i'd be having to redo them to get them passed,  government job = fuck the standards that they make everyone else work to.

Same with all areas of Government. If a private taxi/coach operator had the same incidents as Bus Vannin then their whole operation would be suspended.

Government? Nah, just waive it and carry on. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

There is standard work procedures that apply to all highway works and services . I cant believe that our DOI dont supposedly work to these standards . Or are supposed to do . These are industry standard across the board . 

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There is standard work procedures that apply to all highway works and services . I cant believe that our DOI dont supposedly work to these standards . Or are supposed to do . These are industry standard across the board . 

No offence but we seemed to have gone from illegality, through regulations, then to standards and now procedures😅

But being serious I would have thought that Manx Gas, MUA, would have design standards that would be stipulated in the contract otherwise the contractor would just be able to do anything they like. Perhaps this is what they are doing. 

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No offence but we seemed to have gone from illegality, through regulations, then to standards and now procedures😅

But being serious I would have thought that Manx Gas, MUA, would have design standards that would be stipulated in the contract otherwise the contractor would just be able to do anything they like. Perhaps this is what they are doing. 

Standards are what these should work too. There is industry standards and for your information Manx gas , MUA and the likes instal these themselves . Not Auldyn. Clearly your being either very pedantic or your a troll so am leaving it there. These works are not acceptable in mine and others views an

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WTF said:

But.

1. DoI didn’t install the pipes, ducts, conduits and cables. That was the utility providers.

2. New build is a totally different thing to replacing Victorian and other infrastructure, connecting to existing pipes, ducts, conduits and cables and having to work with existing locations and levels.

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But.

1. DoI didn’t install the pipes, ducts, conduits and cables. That was the utility providers.

2. New build is a totally different thing to replacing Victorian and other infrastructure, connecting to existing pipes, ducts, conduits and cables and having to work with existing locations and levels.

But I thought we were having to dig down 3 metres anyway because of  all the bus swallowing voids?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But.

I agree with John's second point though. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

You are both wrong on this. Auldyn installed the water pipes and the electricity cables as well I believe. They were certainly doing it each day when I went along there. MUA probably did the electrical jointing and connecting. 

You can confirm this in the minutes of the board meetings. 

No they didnt . Contractors working on behalf of the supply authorities did. Stephen Christians 

The problem is, they had a clean sheet to play with, all the services could have been renewed and laid accordingly, and the cannot use the excuse that the services had to be kept alive as they could have been by-passed as they have done on Pulrose bridge, due to lack of proper planning and managing the whole job has been big one almighty fuck up from start to finish and heads should roll, they have started the ball rolling with NB now it should be JR closely followed by IL.

• Thanks 2