Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

6 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Why is it that Manx drivers are having such hysterics over the roundels? I know that there is a general inability to navigate roundabouts. So maybe that’s it. 

Hypnosis Wheel GIFs | Tenor

Ah so it's the publics fault then? Well that figures. After all, we elected some of them and have suffered the rest far too long.

"Chief Minister, the peasants are revolting!"

"Yes, Nick I know they are."

June 2022 will be interesting to say the least.

Biker 1: "Mate, betcha can't do a donut that big!"

Biker 2: "Hold me pint"

Biker 3: "See the look on the horses face? Priceless!"

Perhaps it is because there has been confused directions….firstly..treat it like a roundabout..then drive slowly over it…that is what most drivers are doing although I think a lot of people are avoiding the promenade it has been really quiet the last few times I have been down town and Bucks Road has been manic.

23 hours ago, cissolt said:

It was mentioned in the myprom minutes:

image.png.98edc9a6d7f3900c256cd1985bc51794.png

Waiting for remedial works to be finished before digging everything up again.

So then they can say it was finished and everyone gets paid.

The fact they have to dig it up the very next day is just pure coincidence. Not even sure why it would be minuted as it is nothing to do with the project really and obviously planned to happen after the works are complete.

That'll appease the new boss and they can pat themselves on the back. Then skulk off to the next big thing.

These are the type of shenanigans that go on. What is more surprising to me is that it was minuted at all. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Why is it that Manx drivers are having such hysterics over the roundels? I know that there is a general inability to navigate roundabouts. So maybe that’s it. 

It's just a select group. So far I've noticed:

80% - manage to use them without much hassle. 

10% - stop and sit there until there's no other traffic but a half mile queue behind them. 

10% - just floor it and barrel straight across regardless of any other traffic on or approaching the junction. 

Having said that, the zebra crossing/fake crossings on the entry/exit to the roundels need to be sacked off. 

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I have a feeling we’ll see more dings on this horse tram crossover junction thingy than on the roundels. 

30165141-8575-46AC-B299-2558508FFAEC.jpeg

5B5AE72E-31B7-4A30-B67D-CBAE906F7DFE.jpeg

Managed to spell it right this time, things are looking up.  I presume those are motorcyle parking spaces on the left. Is this where they need the £1m signals? Or will the is be an uncontrolled crossing? If the trams are meant to have right of way here, should there not be Give Way or at least dashed white line across the oncoming lane?

Presumably a pair solid white lines wasn't sufficient to stop people driving to the right. Hope they at least have the decency to barrier off the tram lines out of season so box junction can be ignored when not needed.

59 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Maybe because it's not necessary? Maybe because it's a world wide laughing point? Maybe because there was nothing wrong with what was there before? Maybe because it would have been a lot cheaper to just update what was already there?

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Perhaps then you could tell this forum what and where these regulations are.

You make some good points though. Yes clearly they are struggling with cover here. I agree with you there. They are working on a lump of concrete. If you separated all these 4 or even 5 utilities as they cross you would be going down some 2.8m or more which would make future repair impossible. 

I am not a troll and I certainly have no connection with the disaster that is this prom scheme. 

I react when people make sweeping and over the top statements but then fail to substantiate them. 

I will ask you what you would do different in a difficult situation like this. I ask, not for mischief but for someone to explain it to the forum.

As a chartered civil engineer that wouldn’t have been allowed on one of my sites. Under the NEC I would anticipate that the Main Contractor (I.e the one responsible for the Works to adhere as far as possible with the Specification (which would include the Design Standards) and to notify the Engineers Representative and Planning Supervisor where it were not.

I am not sure if you are trolling and as I stated I am a little rusty; however for example 

I forget the water regulations however there are a number of them related to installing pipe work/ fixings/ thrust loads etc

and with that, I’m out

caused.

Hide message
  1. HSE
  3. Guidance
  5. Publications
  6. Full catalogue
  8. Legal reference (L)
  9. Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR) as amended. Approved Code of Practice and guidance

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR) as amended. Approved Code of Practice and guidance

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, english zloty said:

As a chartered civil engineer that wouldn’t have been allowed on one of my sites. Under the NEC I would anticipate that the Main Contractor (I.e the one responsible for the Works to adhere as far as possible with the Specification (which would include the Design Standards) and to notify the Engineers Representative and Planning Supervisor where it were not.

I am not sure if you are trolling and as I stated I am a little rusty; however for example 

I forget the water regulations however there are a number of them related to installing pipe work/ fixings/ thrust loads etc

and with that, I’m out

caused.

Hide message
  1. HSE
  3. Guidance
  5. Publications
  6. Full catalogue
  8. Legal reference (L)
  9. Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR) as amended. Approved Code of Practice and guidance

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR) as amended. Approved Code of Practice and guidance

But this is the Isle of Man. We do things differently here (often at great expense)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

Because they are not roundabouts, ie no one has priority, so we have been told.

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Because they are not roundabouts, ie no one has priority, so we have been told.

It is very simple.  I really don't get the confusion.

Slow down and assume everyone else is liable to drive into you.  It actually wrks really well until some clown assumes it is a roundabout and that they have right of way over anyone else.

5 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

Well I’m not sure there are hysterics, at least not now when they have been in operation for some time.

All seems to be working fine. I treat them like a roundabout and my fellow drivers, bus drivers and cyclists seem to do the same.

Its hardly the carnage that some predicted.