Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I’m not sure there are hysterics, at least not now when they have been in operation for some time.

All seems to be working fine. I treat them like a roundabout and my fellow drivers, bus drivers and cyclists seem to do the same.

Its hardly the carnage that some predicted.

wait till we have numerous visitors on the roads...  they are redoing the naff fatal crossing in st johns , they redid kirkmichael crossing and they should redo the prom roundels and crossings into industry standard markings so everybody that has ever passed a driving test knows what they should be doing.  why some fucktard with a sketchbook had to reinvent the wheel in the world of road markings is a complete mystery to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

wait till we have numerous visitors on the roads...  they are redoing the naff fatal crossing in st johns , they redid kirkmichael crossing and they should redo the prom roundels and crossings into industry standard markings so everybody that has ever passed a driving test knows what they should be doing.  why some fucktard with a sketchbook had to reinvent the wheel in the world of road markings is a complete mystery to me.

download (4).jpeg

16 minutes ago, WTF said:

There is nothing wrong with the concept of an unmarked junction and people from elsewhere wouldn’t have an issue with that.

The only issue is the stupid markings on the road.  Just scrub them out.

3 hours ago, english zloty said:

As a chartered civil engineer that wouldn’t have been allowed on one of my sites. Under the NEC I would anticipate that the Main Contractor (I.e the one responsible for the Works to adhere as far as possible with the Specification (which would include the Design Standards) and to notify the Engineers Representative and Planning Supervisor where it were not.

I am not sure if you are trolling and as I stated I am a little rusty; however for example 

I forget the water regulations however there are a number of them related to installing pipe work/ fixings/ thrust loads etc

and with that, I’m out

caused.

Hide message
  1. HSE
  3. Guidance
  5. Publications
  6. Full catalogue
  8. Legal reference (L)
  9. Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR) as amended. Approved Code of Practice and guidance

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR) as amended. Approved Code of Practice and guidance

Mmm! I'm not disagreeing with you and I defer to your greater knowledge. 

However I am not truly convinced

I note that the picture rather weirdly comes from Auldyn's Facebook site where they cite it as an example of what a good job they are doing and overcoming the challenge.

I have not been given any example of this elusive design standard so I'll keep sticking to my view for the time being.

Just realised something. The tram tracks will be between the highway and the walkway in front of the villa gaiety. So if the promenade walkway is to be used as overflow parking still, you'll have to cross the tram lines again.

Before you went around the flowerbed in front of the gaiety and gave way to traffic from one direction with the occasional tram going northbound.

Now, southbound you'll have to give way to trams on your left going in both directions and northbound the same, but you'll also be holding up all of the traffic behind you coming along the prom and off of the roundel.

Genius. At least the trams shouldn't be running during the lead up to Christmas.

8 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

I can only assume it’s been designed to push traffic away from the prom. It’ll be impossible to get past the bloody horse trams.   All very well but redesign the other roads, put in new traffic lights at the rose mount and sort out quarterbridge first.   

I agree. Especially quarterbridge. What a bottleneck of a junction. If it were widened at the bottom of quarterbridge road to give two lanes (knock down the awful tanfastic eyesore) then that would double the through put in one step.

Demolish the other eyesore( the pub) and widen the bridge slightly. Traffic lights and simple crossroads. Wouldn't need traffic on the prom at all then as traffic going south could go straight on as they have been throughout the prom works but without the bottleneck.

There were plans to do all this at QB in the mid-noughties, it was "shelved" when the VAT cut was imposed. The project was going to take 3+ years and involve the construction of a huge single roundabout, from memory.

It's a bit odd that it was never resurrected, when the finances stabilised they went into Peel Rd and then the Promenade instead.

According to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece this morning, Minister Crookall DOI has ordered a review of all the uncontrolled crossings which have been done, with work to be done asap. With that in mind, how much will this cost (the taxpayer)to put right?

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

According to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece this morning, Minister Crookall DOI has ordered a review of all the uncontrolled crossings which have been done, with work to be done asap. With that in mind, how much will this cost (the taxpayer)to put right?

Money well spent if it saves a life or a life changing injury. Tim Crookall actually seems to be getting things done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This story is on the front of the "Indy" and appears to have been instigated by Moorhouse kicking off about the "red stripe" crossing in Arbory which has left him "horrified". At least Crookall is taking some notice, one can only imagine what Baker's response would have been?

57 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. Especially quarterbridge. What a bottleneck of a junction. If it were widened at the bottom of quarterbridge road to give two lanes (knock down the awful tanfastic eyesore) then that would double the through put in one step.

there are 2 lanes now , admittedly not for much of a distance, but as traffic from the peel direction is what controls traffic coming off the brayhill side it doesn't really matter how far back the 2 lanes go unless the 20th car back is the next car that wants to go left,  not worth worrying about.

24 minutes ago, WTF said:

there are 2 lanes now , admittedly not for much of a distance, but as traffic from the peel direction is what controls traffic coming off the brayhill side it doesn't really matter how far back the 2 lanes go unless the 20th car back is the next car that wants to go left,  not worth worrying about.

Traffic lights would sort the uneven queue situation. Tidal flow. 

There are two lanes for about 10 yards! Traffic going left into town is held up by traffic going straight on and right. Basically everyone is waiting for everyone else making it a terribly inefficient junction. 

• Like 1