Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. Especially quarterbridge. What a bottleneck of a junction. If it were widened at the bottom of quarterbridge road to give two lanes (knock down the awful tanfastic eyesore) then that would double the through put in one step.

Demolish the other eyesore( the pub) and widen the bridge slightly. Traffic lights and simple crossroads. Wouldn't need traffic on the prom at all then as traffic going south could go straight on as they have been throughout the prom works but without the bottleneck.

It ought to be too obvious to say this, but there's no way we should be talking about Quarterbridge until the new Pulrose Bridge is open and we see how that affects traffic flow etc.

(Also we shouldn't be allowing the DoI anywhere near the sniff of a Nice Big Project for at least five years until they have sorted out all the other messes they have got into).

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It ought to be too obvious to say this, but there's no way we should be talking about Quarterbridge until the new Pulrose Bridge is open and we see how that affects traffic flow etc.

(Also we shouldn't be allowing the DoI anywhere near the sniff of a Nice Big Project for at least five years until they have sorted out all the other messes they have got into).

DOI should never be allowed near another big highway project. A new body needs to be set up along the lines of Highways England with the sole focus on the road network.

Nobody from the current DOI management. Then make the current Highways Division  management redundant. 

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

DOI should never be allowed near another big highway project. A new body needs to be set up along the lines of Highways England with the sole focus on the road network.

Nobody from the current DOI management. Then make the current Highways Division  management redundant. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

The designs didn’t need creating in the first place when a simple black and white crossing with the appropriate flashing beacons - wtf was a Celtic knot design doing? Stupidity, and wasteful of taxpayers money. Crookall right to do something. 

Cost a fortune to put the Celtic knot there. Gonna cost a fortune to get rid of it now as well.

The situation has changed, there are things done to stop a repeat of the terrible accident and clarify the situation down there. Removing the design is being insisted on by someone thinking they are doing a noble thing. I suppose the design will always have bad memories for many people so maybe it's the right thing to do.

58 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

The lights aren’t all on yet are they?  They weren’t last night anyway.

Which begs the question, why not? The cables are in , the poles are up and the fittings are there. Or has somebody got to cut a ribbon or something. Noticed they've all got multiple side arms for hanging banners from. Also very convenient for seagulls to perch and shit all over.

Only a few weeks from December and with poor lighting on a new road layout with ambigious crossings and shared space... what could possibly go wrong with that? Or is this too a non-standard DoI 'feature'?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

i'd expect the traffic flow to be the same as it was before they started the work, and QB was still shit then.

2 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

DOI shouldn’t be let near any capital projects again.  And certainly not the Liverpool ferry terminal, that needs a proper investigation….

Don't forget the Project Managment Unit who probably had a hand in it too. Formerly the Capital Project Unit and I believe it was going to revert back to that name again.

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm with you on that. However there are many occasions when I am turning right at bottom of QB road and some arse will come flying from peel road accelerating hard and I know if I went I would get hit.

Part of the problem is that vehicles coming from peel can see if there is anyone turning right in front of them from way back. If there is no one in the right hand lane leaving town they just accelerate through the roundabout as if it's not even there. Its reckless and I would like to see some get done for it. I doubt i ever will.

A bump/hump would stop this.

It’s actually quite hard to see if anyone is turning right from town to QB road if you’re heading into town from Peel. I do that route daily. You do need to slow down. So the ones bombing through aren’t even checking their right. It’s the same in the opposite direction, it’s hard to see if anyone is turning right from Peel towards Spring Valley. Nobody should be bombing through there either. 

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Cost a fortune to put the Celtic knot there. Gonna cost a fortune to get rid of it now as well.

Probably not a fortune either way to be honest - at least compared to all the other amounts the DoI waste.  The total cost would probably pay for a few sq cm of the Prom. 

The real scandal is it took ten months after the accident and a change of Minister before anything was done at all. Even at the inquest all the DoI tried to do was to blame "issues with a contractor".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

It’s actually quite hard to see if anyone is turning right from town to QB road if you’re heading into town from Peel. I do that route daily. You do need to slow down. So the ones bombing through aren’t even checking their right. It’s the same in the opposite direction, it’s hard to see if anyone is turning right from Peel towards Spring Valley. Nobody should be bombing through there either. 

not a problem in taller vehicles, vans , 4x4's etc,  just the 2 seater roller skate brigade that have less of a view.

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Probably not a fortune either way to be honest - at least compared to all the other amounts the DoI waste.  The total cost would probably pay for a few sq cm of the Prom. 

The real scandal is it took ten months after the accident and a change of Minister before anything was done at all. Even at the inquest all the DoI tried to do was to blame "issues with a contractor".

Probably not wanting to make it look like a (rightful) acceptance of guilt/liability.