Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We need zippering as a rule of the road, at junctions and roundabouts, roundels and lane merges 

I agree. If you drive in Guernsey  its part of their culture and it works really well. Traffic is constantly flowing as every driver knows what the other drivers are doing.

I sometimes try to filter into the end of Alexander Drive where it joins QB road. Most do comply and take turns, but some are just plonkers and make you wait just to be awkward.

I'm unconvinced by unmarked junctions on the prom, but the real issue is the standard of driving. I've had some twat in a white van drive straight at me on a roundel (me turning right from Broadway, him coming from town), not slowing down at all. "Give way to the right!!!" Ballsack.

Even if the roundels were proper roundabouts you'd have the same issue. The roundels are only controversial to people who don't know how to drive.

As for the St John's crossing, the issue there was the fact the contractor hadn't put the chicane fences up on the cycleway on the approach to the crossing. That meant the cyclist barreled on to the crossing thinking he had right of way, because it wasn't obvious it was a main road. A horrible accident but I'm not convinced taking the markings out will change anything much there, unless you put a toucan crossing in. The issue is the speed of the cars on the road. 

I undertook my what seems like bi-monthly "trip along the prom to see what's going on" trip at the weekend. 

I've come to an epiphany.... 

I understand that part of the plan was it to be a shared space, for cars to drive slower and with respect the pedestrians.  It's like the wacky races along there now.  Absolutely no idea where other cars or pedestrians can and will randomly dive in front of you.  Thereby forcing you to drive along at 10mph paranoid and confused as to what can possibly happen next. 

It's an unequivocal success.

• Like 1

Personal opinion only but part of the problem is that these junctions were never originally designed as roundabouts and as such, they're far too small. We effectively have crossroads that somebody has put a large blob of white paint in the middle of and now we are expected to treat it as a roundabout.

Compare with a large, properly designed and scaled roundabout and giving way to the right is easy because traffic coming from the right is all that you can see and have to interact with; as opposed to being able to see traffic coming from all three other directions, some of which will not know how to observe the rules.

Again, personal opinion but as a driver you can't apply or expect to see the usual roundabout rules being observed when you're not dealing with a proper roundabout - therefore approach with great caution.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I'm unconvinced by unmarked junctions on the prom, but the real issue is the standard of driving. I've had some twat in a white van drive straight at me on a roundel (me turning right from Broadway, him coming from town), not slowing down at all. "Give way to the right!!!" Ballsack.

Even if the roundels were proper roundabouts you'd have the same issue. The roundels are only controversial to people who don't know how to drive.

As for the St John's crossing, the issue there was the fact the contractor hadn't put the chicane fences up on the cycleway on the approach to the crossing. That meant the cyclist barreled on to the crossing thinking he had right of way, because it wasn't obvious it was a main road. A horrible accident but I'm not convinced taking the markings out will change anything much there, unless you put a toucan crossing in. The issue is the speed of the cars on the road. 

It needs a chicane on the track and another on the road. Plus signage

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I've had some twat in a white van drive straight at me on a roundel (me turning right from Broadway, him coming from town), not slowing down at all. "Give way to the right!!!" Ballsack.

Nobody has priority, so your give way to the right is wrong, that’s the whole point behind a shared space. I do exactly what the white van man does because twats keep barrelling through rather than giving way and I will continue doing that up until it becomes a marked junction or a roundabout of which I will then give way to the right or whoever is on the roundabout first.

• Like 1

Nobody has priority, but all have a duty of care to other road users. Too many people are traveling too fast onto these junctions. People coming down broadway are glancing to the left and flooring it turning right onto the prom. If you are changing direction particularly making a right turn you have to slow and filter rather than sweep around expecting anyone in your way to stop. There is still a 20 mph speed limit along the prom, difficult to believe when you see the majority of vehicles going well in excess of that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Surely you were coming from his left?

7 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Nobody has priority, so your give way to the right is wrong, that’s the whole point behind a shared space

I know that. The dipshit in the van heading north at 30mph+, without slowing down, and deliberately driving his van at my car, clearly doesn't. He was the one yelling I should have given way. No wonder more nervous drivers sit and wait until there are no cars in sight.

Trouble is, Douglas is full of bellends like him, as we all see at Braddan Church and QB.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I know that. The dipshit in the van heading north at 30mph+, without slowing down, and deliberately driving his van at my car, clearly doesn't. He was the one yelling I should have given way. No wonder more nervous drivers sit and wait until there are no cars in sight.

Trouble is, Douglas is full of bellends like him, as we all see at Braddan Church and QB.

Well you’ve at least highlighted the real issue, people haven’t grasped the concept of roundabouts and yet for good measure they’ve just thrown a shared space roundel with informal crossings into the mix! For me the issue with QB is mainly hesitation, poor indication and speed. I’ve seen people wait for an entire lane to clear before going, despite many opportunities to go, the speed tends to come from everyone stopping even when they approached the roundabout first, not helped but at least one instructor who teachers their pupils to always stop at QB unless it’s absolutely clear.

Edited by Annoymouse

Confirmed in Keys today.  Unmarked junctions as defined in the UK highway code and as used in loads of other places.

Slow down and assume anyone could do anything.  Do NOT assume you ever have right of way.

They work perfectly if people use them as intended.  Just imagine a junction where the traffic lights are out and everyone is polite and uses common sense.  Easy