Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's a duck.... Whichever way you look at it.

It's worse than that. I honestly think  the dept. probably thought that were being really clever making lots of weird junctions and crossings all around the  island....... just to be different. 

They really never seem to have been interested in road safety. Just overpriced projects. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, emesde said:

It's worse than that. I honestly think  the dept. probably thought that were being really clever making lots of weird junctions and crossings all around the  island....... just to be different. 

They really never seem to have been interested in road safety. Just overpriced projects. 

Absolutely. And the police are going to have a hard time convincing an insurance company otherwise.

Knobs, the lot of 'em.

21 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

You’re understanding is wrong. At least 10 people have explained that to you now. They all have equal priority on the roundel as explained in the Manx Radio link I posted (twice) 

There is no right or wrong. Yes they may all have equal priority. That's different. I don't think you are reading what I am saying. Priority is not the same as right of way is it?

Once more. I (a pedestrian) cannot just run onto the roundel and expect everyone to give way to me. I understand that. However they (vehicles) cannot run into me so in effect as soon as I am on the roundel I inherit a kind of right of way as if someone ran into me and killed me they might have trouble and we are told we must yield to pedestrians.

I don't believe a pedestrian can be convicted of a road traffic offence. I guess the only law that could be levied at me if I did that would be the mental health act or disturbing the peace. But I am no expert on that.

Edited by Happier diner

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Absolutely. And the police are going to have a hard time convincing an insurance company otherwise.

Knobs, the lot of 'em.

But it's not the police's job to convince the Insurance companies.

fact is the MHKS seem to be making this more confusing than it actually is, from what I have seen people are using it fine, there's no daily pile up's or pedestrians being mowed down as predicted by the doom brigade. I have actually seen people say they are scared to use the prom now, if that's the case they should probably be thinking of handing in their licence. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Driving north along the Prom recently, I noted that I had a police van just behind me.

When I got to the roundel at the bottom of Broadway, which was clear of traffic, I drove straight across the middle, and I checked in my rear view mirror - yes, the police van took exactly the same route. It did not follow the rings round, like I've seen some people do.

• Like 1

Seems perfectly reasonable if the road is clear.

I come across people not indicating, eg onto the roundel from Church Road, or off the Promenade to go up Broadway, thinking the roundels are a real free-for-all.

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

But it's not the police's job to convince the Insurance companies.

fact is the MHKS seem to be making this more confusing than it actually is, from what I have seen people are using it fine, there's no daily pile up's or pedestrians being mowed down as predicted by the doom brigade. I have actually seen people say they are scared to use the prom now, if that's the case they should probably be thinking of handing in their licence. 

When an accident happens (which it will, if it hasn't already) and there's damage to a vehicle or worse an injury or death to someone then the police traffic report will make what assumption, exactly? Isn't it their job to determine who was at fault, or are you saying no one will be to blame, or they're all to blame? Who pays for the damage?

Those who say they are avoiding the prom have made a risk assessment themselves on the probability that an unmarked junction creates more problems than it solves. I know two people, one of whom is certainly not elderly, has come to that decision.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Driving north along the Prom recently, I noted that I had a police van just behind me.

When I got to the roundel at the bottom of Broadway, which was clear of traffic, I drove straight across the middle, and I checked in my rear view mirror - yes, the police van took exactly the same route. It did not follow the rings round, like I've seen some people do.

Quite. 

12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Those who say they are avoiding the prom have made a risk assessment themselves on the probability that an unmarked junction creates more problems than it solves. I know two people, one of whom is certainly not elderly, has come to that decision.

I also know several people who now avoid driving on the prom. In every case, it's because they don't trust other drivers to drive safely through these new marked-but-unmarked-and-everyone-has-their-own-interpretation junctions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

When an accident happens (which it will, if it hasn't already) and there's damage to a vehicle or worse an injury or death to someone then the police traffic report will make what assumption, exactly? Isn't it their job to determine who was at fault, or are you saying no one will be to blame, or they're all to blame? Who pays for the damage?

The police will still investigate for any offences but when it comes down to insurance then that is up to the insurance companies to make their decisions 

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I keep driving up and down the Prom just to see how long it takes for me to have an accident!!!

You need to drive up and down the prom whilst texting* on your phone like everyone else seems to be doing at the moment.  That will increase the chance of you having an accident so you won't have to run your experiment for as long. Don't worry the police will pretend they didn't see you if they see you.

* Do they still call it texting?

• Haha 1

Went for my jab today and spent a few minutes looking at the roundels . Seems to me it's the biggest bullies who get right of way. Noticed a couple who seemed to be going at over 30 mph who just barreled across causing other vehicles to back off even though they were going steady.

I still ask the question why create something that is not needed and is a lot worse than what existed before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2