Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Well according to the latest Strategic Board Minutes of the Prom, were are soon going to be getting and paying for a statue of Mark Cavandish to sit in the middle of the roundabout by the sea terminal 

An excellent idea. As deserved as any of the others.

• Like 1

Far be it from me to bring positivity, but I parked on Loch Prom to do some shopping.  The prom was tidy, the sunken gardens didn't look too wasted, apart from the wall, and generally looked pretty unaffected.  I don't know if it was Douglas Council (there were council chaps doing things in the sunken gardens) or DOI, but all pretty tidy at that end given the hammering it got yesterday. 

Suspect, however, that as usual it is those at the coalface who actually bring tangible and welcome results. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Well according to the latest Strategic Board Minutes of the Prom, were are soon going to be getting and paying for a statue of Mark Cavandish to sit in the middle of the roundabout by the sea terminal 

It shouldn't be too expensive.....there must be plenty of rusty pushbikes lying around Douglas that they can use as a starting point....

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Far be it from me to bring positivity, but I parked on Loch Prom to do some shopping.  The prom was tidy, the sunken gardens didn't look too wasted, apart from the wall, and generally looked pretty unaffected.  I don't know if it was Douglas Council (there were council chaps doing things in the sunken gardens) or DOI, but all pretty tidy at that end given the hammering it got yesterday. 

Suspect, however, that as usual it is those at the coalface who actually bring tangible and welcome results. 

You should have walked along the prom tonight like I did the walls on the seaside have fallen in, in at least 4 seperate places in those places the gardens are a complete devastation, not unaffected at all, will cost thousands to repair, if DOI do it Millions

Edited by alpha-acid

Well in the last minutes for September they were still saying the job would be finished mid November . Of course what has been announced more recently has made that plan reduntant. But currently had it confirmed today that the latest timescale is March . The tram tracks and troublesome points are not due to be fitted till nearer then. And so it goes on . 

11 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There is a redacted name under apologies for absent etc but why , if thats him , would it be redacted ??? 

They've finally run out of brass neck or the balls to put their name to it....?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

You should have walked along the prom tonight like I did the walls on the seaside have fallen in, in at least 4 seperate places in those places the gardens are a complete devastation, not unaffected at all, will cost thousands to repair, if DOI do it Millions

I am not saying it was unaffected, but pretty well managed.  The road must have been covered but it was open and functioning. 

TBH, the gardens are hardly vital, nice part of the prom, but not intrinsic to it working as a thoroughfare.

Yes, there is work to do, but I was expecting to see a muddy, stony mess, with uprooted plants,  but it wasn't that bad.  The walls will have to be rebuilt but the gardens below looked more like a tidy up.  

36 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not saying it was unaffected, but pretty well managed.  The road must have been covered but it was open and functioning. 

TBH, the gardens are hardly vital, nice part of the prom, but not intrinsic to it working as a thoroughfare.

Yes, there is work to do, but I was expecting to see a muddy, stony mess, with uprooted plants,  but it wasn't that bad.  The walls will have to be rebuilt but the gardens below looked more like a tidy up.  

Didn’t the gardens do exactly what they were designed to do and act as a part of the flood defence?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If that is what they were designed to do,  then yes.  Although I think the water reached quite far across the prom. 

My old man told me about 40 years ago that that was part of their original purpose.  To catch a lot of water that would otherwise have hit the Main Street and to slow any water that did reach them.

He did tell me a lot of bollocks though, but it always seemed plausible 

• Like 3