Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

27 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

My old man told me about 40 years ago that that was part of their original purpose.  To catch a lot of water that would otherwise have hit the Main Street and to slow any water that did reach them.

He did tell me a lot of bollocks though, but it always seemed plausible 

It makes sense, given that Strand Street is the old shoreline and the old sea defence wall can still be seen in the back lane behind Loch Prom. 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It makes sense, given that Strand Street is the old shoreline and the old sea defence wall can still be seen in the back lane behind Loch Prom. 

Like I said.  It’s from the same source that told me that thing between port st Mary and cregneash was the craft MHKs used to go and see their family at Christmas. 

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Like I said.  It’s from the same source that told me that thing between port st Mary and cregneash was the craft MHKs used to go and see their family at Christmas. 

What the air navigation thing? 

I was told it was part of the nuclear early warning system. 

Mind you  I was also told that if you pick a Manx cat up by its tail, its eyes would drop out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Didn’t the gardens do exactly what they were designed to do and act as a part of the flood defence?

That was always something I was lead to believe when first stepping foot on Mann. Can't recall now who told me, may be read it somewhere.

Edited by Andy Onchan

49 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Don't be giving them bloody ideas.

Walked along the queens prom this morning and the boys from Auldyn  are busy trying to remove the sand shingle and seaweed from the stupid drainage system which consists of a number of small holes on the edge of the curbs into a box channel , who ever designed it has obviously never lived in a marine exposed environment , one section was blocked solid and they were trying to high pressure jet it clear , apparently  its about to be inspected prior to handover and everyone is in a  panic, that it might not pass muster 

And I hear from a good engineering source that the gaps in the rails where the  horse tram tracks crossover , the gap was so great there was a risk of trapping or damaging  the horses  hooves ,  so back to plan B    the welders are expected back February or March , so whats the betting it wont look finished before TT 2022, 

who ever remembers a time when beach debris didn't wash up on the promenade in bad weather ,and you would have thought this could have been factored into the design , after all Richmond hill  has suffered  from the same problems ,  do the DOI never learn anything 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Omobono said:

do the DOI never learn anything 

"Lessons will be learned"  Standard response to all fuck ups.  In fact it seems they probably have this statement lined up following the completion of every DOI project.   

I'm going to try this next time I'm getting bollocked for something and see how it works out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Walked along the queens prom this morning and the boys from Auldyn  are busy trying to remove the sand shingle and seaweed from the stupid drainage system which consists of a number of small holes on the edge of the curbs into a box channel , who ever designed it has obviously never lived in a marine exposed environment , one section was blocked solid and they were trying to high pressure jet it clear , apparently  its about to be inspected prior to handover and everyone is in a  panic, that it might not pass muster 

When I went to one of the info sessions at the Sea Terminal, before this all kicked off, one of the Crayonistas proudly told me that the drainage holes were uniquely sized for the Douglas Prom scheme. Why and to what benefit he was unable to confirm. 

4 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

When I went to one of the info sessions at the Sea Terminal, before this all kicked off, one of the Crayonistas proudly told me that the drainage holes were uniquely sized for the Douglas Prom scheme. Why and to what benefit he was unable to confirm. 

Too small for the average Douglas beach pebble to fall down and create a blockage?

Of course we all know that all the pebbles on the beach are exactly the same size. 

• Like 1

Mate who has shops down there said that yesterday (Wednesday) there was loads of Auldyn staff clearing those same grids. Looks like it could be a ongoing issue for years to come. Especially as we know DOI wont regularly check and clear them .

Edited by Numbnuts

Beany blocks to give them their correct name

Make an Internet search on "Beany blocks clogged" or similar and you will get a few hits.

I assume that old fashioned road drains have a collector sump to hold large debris that might fall into the drain - I guess that is why I sometimes see road workers with a bloody great vacuum cleaner sucking stuff out of drains.

It would seem that Beany blocks work best when clearing rain water alone, which is clearly not the case here. So the question is - who specified Beany blocks, Auldyn or the DoI?

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Make an Internet search on "Beany blocks clogged" or similar and you will get a few hits.

I assume that old fashioned road drains have a collector sump to hold large debris that might fall into the drain - I guess that is why I sometimes see road workers with a bloody great vacuum cleaner sucking stuff out of drains.

It would seem that Beany blocks work best when clearing rain water alone, which is clearly not the case here. So the question is - who specified Beany blocks, Auldyn or the DoI?

Wouldn't be Auldyn. They are only the main contractor. Architects/ Engineers working for DOI would have done .  Auldyn will just build to spec .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3