Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

IOM Newspapers and the Examiner have got its investigation heads on. The feature article is looking at the the state of Douglas Promenade after the storm and why nothing was done to remedy this issue. If the DOI had to replace railings and reinforce I would dread to think of the a) timescale b) the inconvenience to the public and c) the even greater cost to the taxpayers. Work is required but it’s pointed out that it’s the sand and shingle needs removing to reduce the level of the sea wall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

IOM Newspapers and the Examiner have got its investigation heads on. The feature article is looking at the the state of Douglas Promenade after the storm and why nothing was done to remedy this issue. If the DOI had to replace railings and reinforce I would dread to think of the a) timescale b) the inconvenience to the public and c) the even greater cost to the taxpayers. Work is required but it’s pointed out that it’s the sand and shingle needs removing to reduce the level of the sea wall. 

I see the clowns in the Corporation are considering some form of Aqua park in Douglas bay and looking to go for Blue flag status , since the  wooden Groyens have been neglected the sand on the beach has been replaced by stones and shingle ,and the £50.000 a year tractor to drag the seaweed back down to the waterline again ,like King Canute's folly 

Douglas beach could be lowered and re profiled  to prevent overtopping and flooding on Harris and Queens promenades  but surly  the  sand , shingle  and flood risk are the responsibility of the DOI  ,

Douglas beach has become a disgrace ,but its not the councils role  to throw money at it to appease a few crackpots who have been recently elected to the council ,there isn't a public toilet or washing facility on the whole length of the beach area  or an Ice cream stall or small cafe , 

to the councillors of Douglas  I say , just  go to down to Peel and see what can be done to make the beach more attractive to both locals and visitors alike  and with private money and ,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I see the clowns in the Corporation are considering some form of Aqua park in Douglas bay and looking to go for Blue flag status.

it would be more of  brown flag status going by what is usually wrapped up in the seaweed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I see we are now up to 12 possible cases.  Surely this will just go the way of delta and become the dominant strain?

How many of us was that supposed to kill again?

I see your covid obsession is now spilling over into the promenade thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's easily confusing when a poster is running more than one device/puppet at the same time. The trolling is the same on other local platforms, iomtoady being one such. 

Hilarious really, the lengths little people will go to to substantiate themselves...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

It's easily confusing when a poster is running more than one device/puppet at the same time. The trolling is the same on other local platforms, iomtoady being one such. 

Hilarious really, the lengths little people will go to to substantiate themselves...

For the benefit of us who have no clue what you are talking about, would you care to elaborate?

• Confused 1

f you have OCD , or even just a basic desire to do things properly then you had better scroll on by.

That is a well-framed photo. A Mondrian-style work of art (except for the triangles).

In the latest Strategic Board minutes they refer to a possible roundabout statue as "an installation", so it could be they regard the prom. scheme as a 1.5 mile long art installation.

Which brings me to the promenade cracks. As art aficionados no doubt they are all familiar with Doris's Crack which was on display at the Tate Modern a while ago, and they regard the cracks as an essential part of the piece - representing the dichotomy between rich and poor etc.

Perhaps all the cracks will be given names like Black's Crack, Cannan's Crack and so on. And as there are so many cracks to go around, the taxpayer will be able to sponsor a crack....