Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I read it as, the entire DOI is overwhelmed with inherited problems and one man alone cannot be expected to solve every problem without expert assistance.

But then I’m a glass half full person most of the time.

I do appreciate however that you are not. 

Maybe but i would wager a good sum of money that the real reason for this appointment is to make sure the minister toes the line and stops messing with their plans.

From what I hear there are a lot of projects island wide that the minister has put a hold on and this appointment is to have the error of his ways explained to him with no risk to the current DOI staff.

• Like 2

Just what we'd need (eventually), a whole raft of non-exec advisors/directors - and all because Ministers can't understand and/or Senior CS can't be trusted.

Then we could take on some advisers to advise the advisers.

Ministers can't be expected to understand the finer details of everything and that's not what they're there for.

But one would expect their CS to be trusted in what they are supposed to be relaying. If they are too mendacious and self-serving, as would appear to be proven by Alf's comments, get them emptied and replaced with some people of the expected calibre.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, emesde said:

I rember lord Michael Grade once talking about non exec directors

"a bit like the bidet in your bathroom: nobody is quite sure what they are for, but they add a touch of class.”😊

I always find them handy for cleaning the old fella when the lady in my life at the time asked for A little extra.

What else are they for?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

That'll rule out any existing civil servants. Too much of an increase in working hours.

speaking of cycle ways ,I have yet to see anyone using the special cycle track that goes down from Anagh coar  into Pulrose  I know Pulrose bridge is still closed , but you would think there would be someone up there who owns and rides a bike , what a waste of money 

13 minutes ago, Omobono said:

speaking of cycle ways ,I have yet to see anyone using the special cycle track that goes down from Anagh coar  into Pulrose  I know Pulrose bridge is still closed , but you would think there would be someone up there who owns and rides a bike , what a waste of money 

Have you seen the one over Pulrose bridge? It could accommodate a bus!

28 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Bollocks, loads of people use it, not just cyclists. Young mothers with prams, joggers, and cyclists. I travel that road perhaps half a dozen times a day. Do you? 

• Like 1

Crookall has done the right thing by freezing spending on many projects. It's a good starting point to sort the grain from the chaff. 

Tesco making an offer for the bus yard is supposedly back on the table too. There's been survey work going on up near Cooil Road for a new depot.

Edited by James Blonde
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Crookall has done the right thing by freezing spending on many projects. It's a good starting point to sort the grain from the chaff. 

Tesco making an offer for the bus yard is supposedly back on the table too. There's been survey work going on up near Cooil Road for a new depot.

Tesco would be better up there, preferably on the Jackson's site!

• Like 1