Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

taxis and ambulances would be the usual suspects, and the cars dropping off doris to go to the shops while george finds a parking space.

That probably says more about how the highway was designed as it does about the above.

The crayonistas have forgotten that the prom is actually a main artery for the north/south traffic.

I was on Douglas prom. today for the first time in a while. I was impressed by the new colour scheme - cyan and putrid purple. Just when you though the children had run out of coloured crayons. How many colours does it take to pave a Victorian promenade: black, light grey, dark grey, white, green, puce, beige, cyan, purple and various degrees of chroma from perfect-pink to pink-with-skid-marks.

I saw some people still have difficulty negotiating the unmarked junctions. I saw someone trying to drive around the outer edge of a roundel as though they were trying to score a continues double on a dartboard. But... I have a plan.

One night I am going to paint a 5 foot white circle in the middle of a roundel. The next morning everyone will think it is just a new mini-roundabout and do as they always do - drive straight over the white bits.

2021-12-20-15:02:00-DSC_5121-preview2-ri.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:40 AM, manxchester said:

I know its only a small thing but why can't they take the plastic wrapping off the lights opposite the Villa? Looks really scruffy blowing away in the wind and has been like that for weeks.

kk

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Augustus said:

The twats did exactly the same thing for months and months to the lights on Loch Promenade. Where does the plastic go once the wind and weather have finished with it? Into the sea. I have picked chunks of it off the beach.

thanks Bill.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

amazing stuff

Nice to hear that the trademark Manx ill-fitting manhole cover has been incorporated into the new works.  We wouldn't know we were driving on the IOM without the familiar clunk-clunk as cars pass over road ironworks.  It's quite reassuring. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I don't know about the clank every time a vehicle drives over Man Hole covers  but  most of the Ironworks recently installed on the prom  are rusting away already  and all those square   aluminium  poles every  few mitres  outside the Palace hotel are not gong to last very long either , cant understand the need for all these additional parking signs  ,and pedestrian controlled crossings when the more cost effective  Zebra  would have  been a cheaper option  perhaps  the consultants thought they were not waisting enough money  ,what with the drains filling with sand and stones  the whole prom will be a nightmare to maintain , but when did the DOI maintain anything !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Nice to hear that the trademark Manx ill-fitting manhole cover has been incorporated into the new works.  We wouldn't know we were driving on the IOM without the familiar clunk-clunk as cars pass over road ironworks.  It's quite reassuring. 

Aren't they bloody useless? What would it take to pencil that in as a standard requirement on any roadworks? All draincovers to be battened down securely? But no.

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Aren't they bloody useless? What would it take to pencil that in as a standard requirement on any roadworks? All draincovers to be battened down securely? But no.

How do they make then like that? The cover and but of metal that goes around the top of the hole are mass produced to a standard size. It's quite an achievement.

8 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

How do they make then like that? The cover and but of metal that goes around the top of the hole are mass produced to a standard size. It's quite an achievement.

That would be my guess too, you get the frame and the lid together and they fit neatly,  so why do so many clunk?  There are so many around that you wonder how this Manx solution has been found.  It must be a PITA for those living next to that to have the continual dull clunk-clunk as traffic passes by. 

• Like 1