Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, The Old Git said:

Police appealing for witnesses after pedestrian hit by a car on crossing by Regent St. Thankfully uninjured, but it did seem fairly inevitable with one marked crossing and one unmarked crossing so close to each other. 

Few drivers seem to care about the unmarked crossing. Should be turned into a marked one. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Amadeus said:

Few drivers seem to care about the unmarked crossing. Should be turned into a marked one. 

Yeah, the problem is drivers/pedestrians don't know who's right of way it is on unmarked crossing?

Zebra crossing is clear, drivers have to wait for pedestrians.

Unmarked? Anyone? 

The promenade seems very quiet whether it is because motorists are taking different routes because they have got used to them or it is the time of year. There are lots of businesses reporting footfall is down but I remember in the day the street was always quiet in January and February a combination of people being broke after Christmas and the weather in fact CastleStreet was practically closed just the shoe shop on the corner, Felices, Curpheys and Andrew Scarffes the rest were seasonal shops, that is why the shops had sales now they have them all the time.

1 minute ago, b4mbi said:

Yeah, the problem is drivers/pedestrians don't know who's right of way it is on unmarked crossing?

Unmarked? Anyone? 

Don't pedestrians always have right of way? 

• Like 2

Just now, quilp said:

Don't pedestrians always have right of way? 

I've briefly looked and there's nothing in Manx highway code about unmarked crossings that I can see. 

It seems to think that pedestrian crossings are either zebra or light controlled.

If it's not one of these, then it's just road decoration. At least that's what I'd be arguing - how is it different to those fecking stupid celtic cross designs in St Johns, that were eventually removed, but tragically too late.

• Like 3

I haven't been on Douglas prom for ages thankfully, so haven't seen the 'crossing' in question, but I'm gonna stick with my view that unmarked (or non-conventional) crossings are stupid and they should just do them properly or not at all. I also happen to think that block paved crossings are stupid too, and they should just paint on tarmac like normal people would.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I haven't been on Douglas prom for ages thankfully, so haven't seen the 'crossing' in question, but I'm gonna stick with my view that unmarked (or non-conventional) crossings are stupid and they should just do them properly or not at all. I also happen to think that block paved crossings are stupid too, and they should just paint on tarmac like normal people would.

Well they have painted on tarmac for one crossing heading north after broadway and it stands out much more clearly than the block paved efforts.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Unmarked? Anyone? 

It's the Isle of Man for heavens sake, a lot of car drivers don't think the rules apply to them

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Unmarked? Anyone? 

Are there any actual Zebra Crossings on Loch Promenade?.

I thought the idea of the shared space was that nothing had right of way

3 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

One at Regent St junction. And an unmarked crossing very close, basically the width of Regent St

No zig zag markings or road studs or white lines marking the crossing though, so is the grey/dark grey blockwork crossing a legal Zebra crossing or just a fake look a like DOI pretend one?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Thought one of them had the flashing lights on poles and white lines

They have the Belisha beacons but do not have the white lines denoting the extent of the crossing or the zig zag lines. On the crossings north of the Empress they do. 

I suppose the legal status of these crossings will eventually be sorted out in court. I am not sure why they could not have been made exactly to the accepted standard that other zebra crossings on the IOM are made to

• Like 1