Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

9 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

They have the Belisha beacons but do not have the white lines denoting the extent of the crossing or the zig zag lines. On the crossings north of the Empress they do. 

I suppose the legal status of these crossings will eventually be sorted out in court. I am not sure why they could not have been made exactly to the accepted standard that other zebra crossings on the IOM are made to

Court?

You mean when/if there is an accident?

Just now, Happier diner said:

Court?

You mean when/if there is an accident?

The first one !! 

NEWS: Police are appealing for witnesses after a pedestrian was hit by a car while using a crossing on Douglas promenade this morning.

The incident happened at the junction on Loch Promenade and Regent Street at around 9.30am.

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

The first one !! 

NEWS: Police are appealing for witnesses after a pedestrian was hit by a car while using a crossing on Douglas promenade this morning.

The incident happened at the junction on Loch Promenade and Regent Street at around 9.30am.

Isn't that one a proper crossing:whistling:

Without the zig zag lines before the crossings its easy to miss them.

Drivers are used to zig zags which, even subconsciously, make you prepared to stop. 

Without them there will, mark my words, be a fatality there, most likely at the Sam Webs one or the pelican crossing outside the Mannin Hotel on Broadway, or any of the "Zebras" on the main drag.

Edited by Boris Johnson

so was it the zebra crossing or the unmarked so called one 30 feet away ???   any vagueness in reporting the actual crossing type ( as usually mentioned ) seems to me to be deliberate so that they wouldn't be advertising that the first bump on another stupid fucking idea of a crossing has occurred.   time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

It's the Isle of Man for heavens sake, a lot of car drivers don't think the rules apply to them

they should make all the crossings Zebra's,!        problem with the pelican or light controlled crossings is even if the road is fairly clear the person crossing the road  always wants to press the button and stop the traffic , if you look at a conventional Zebra , motorists slow down and stop to let people cross ,but it does not hold up traffic  while the lights go through a sequence again , especially when there is no one on the crossing or waiting 

make them all the same especially on the promenade where you now have 3 different types of pedestrian crossing , Confused ? ask most pedestrians   no wonder people are getting knocked over  don.t say the DOI were not warned ! enough people on here brought this to their attention 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

they should make all the crossings Zebra's,!        problem with the pelican or light controlled crossings is even if the road is fairly clear the person crossing the road  always wants to press the button and stop the traffic , if you look at a conventional Zebra , motorists slow down and stop to let people cross ,but it does not hold up traffic  while the lights go through a sequence again , especially when there is no one on the crossing or waiting 

make them all the same especially on the promenade where you now have 3 different types of pedestrian crossing , Confused ? ask most pedestrians   no wonder people are getting knocked over  don.t say the DOI were not warned ! enough people on here brought this to their attention 

The whole set up on the Prom is a “dog’s breakfast “

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Without the zig zag lines before the crossings its easy to miss them.

Drivers are used to zig zags which, even subconsciously, make you prepared to stop. 

Without them there will, mark my words, be a fatality there, most likely at the Sam Webs one or the pelican crossing outside the Mannin Hotel on Broadway, or any of the "Zebras" on the main drag.

If you missed that crossing at Regent Street you should not be driving a vehicle. FGS get a grip. Have you actually driven across it. Please tell me you haven't. 

Not defending the DOI but we need a reality check. If someone has run into  a pedestrian there then I hope they throw the book at them. The driver and not the DOI 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

With zebra crossings, pedestrians cross in dribs and drabs - the traffic has to stop more often to allow only one or two people to cross.

With a light controlled crossing, people cross in batches so more people can cross with less stopping of traffic. The time between pressing the button and the lights changing depends on how long the previous stop was - if it's been a while, the lights will change quickly, otherwise you have to wait (and repeatedly pressing the button doesn't help)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

If you missed that crossing at Regent Street you should not be driving a vehicle. FGS get a grip. Have you actually driven across it. Please tell me you haven't. 

Not defending the DOI but we need a reality check. If someone has run into  a pedestrian there then I hope they throw the book at them. The driver and not the DOI 

Currently there is a cycling prohibited sign for traffic going south along the promenade at Derby Castle, do you think cyclists that ignore this sign should be prosecuted?