Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

10 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I suspect it’s been forgotten about. Wouldn’t be the first time. They seem useless at road signs here

I think you are right but it should not be the driver/ cyclist/ pedestrians responsibility to work out which signs are valid/ forgotten/ illegal. We pay above market rates for our civil servants to sort that for us I think.

12 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Currently there is a cycling prohibited sign for traffic going south along the promenade at Derby Castle, do you think cyclists that ignore this sign should be prosecuted?

Yes of course if they have deliberately ignored a traffic sign that has legitimacy. 
Why would you not think that?

(Unless you are a cyclist who everyone knows thinks the laws of the road don’t apply to them)

Do you think that a car driver going at 60 mph in a 30 mph zone should be prosecuted? ( Duh)

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes of course if they have deliberately ignored a traffic sign that has legitimacy. 
Why would you not think that?

(Unless you are a cyclist who everyone knows thinks the laws of the road don’t apply to them)

Do you think that a car driver going at 60 mph in a 30 mph zone should be prosecuted? ( Duh)

I think it’s just before summer hill, so any cyclist joining the prom from summer hill, Switzerland Road, castle drive, castlemona avenue, broadway etc is ok to cycle the prom. Just tough luck if you come from port jack end. It’s the usual bollocks. 

2 hours ago, kevster said:

With zebra crossings, pedestrians cross in dribs and drabs - the traffic has to stop more often to allow only one or two people to cross.

With a light controlled crossing, people cross in batches so more people can cross with less stopping of traffic. The time between pressing the button and the lights changing depends on how long the previous stop was - if it's been a while, the lights will change quickly, otherwise you have to wait (and repeatedly pressing the button doesn't help)

that might be the case in Oxford street in London , but people cross far quicker on a Zebra , we  currently have situations where 1 pedestrian  or vindictive child  not even crossing the road  can hold up multiple   vehicles ,  just watch what goes on in Lord street or Victoria street   and you will see what I mean 

• Like 1

It is infuriating for any driver who is stopped by Pelican lights when there's no-one waiting to cross.

People who don't drive may not realise this (being generous) when they press the button and then work out that they can cross safely without waiting.

Zebra crossings have the advantage that (here on the Island anyway) motorists will stop on sight of someone walking up to a crossing, clearly with intent to cross, rather than only if the pedestrian has put their foot on the road.

Pelicans are probably better where there is heavy traffic (both pedestrian and motor), as they give everyone an equal chance.

See the first 'dig up and replace ' is happening on Queens prom. DOI having to dig up two poles with relevant signage informing that Little Switzerland is a Cul de sac due to they being put to near the kerbs. Buses  and lorries etc were hitting them apparently . Didnt someone on here mention how near the posts had been put to kerbs ??  

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

See the first 'dig up and replace ' is happening on Queens prom. DOI having to dig up two poles with relevant signage informing that Little Switzerland is a Cul de sac due to they being put to near the kerbs. Buses  and lorries etc were hitting them apparently . Didnt someone on here mention how near the posts had been put to kerbs ??  

Sort of yes. I think the issue originally was how close the Heras fencing was to the highway during the works. 

• Like 1

When I was driving down the prom today I noticed that the grey shared space crossing points had developed a zebra pattern due to the cars driving over with wet tires.

Which is helpful.

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Is there a sign saying when the (now out of date) 'No cycling' zone ends. If not, does it mean you can't cycle all the way to Ramsey.....in fact never again

I’ve never noticed an end to the no cycling zone and was wondering the same today. 

I did check while I was out and about this morning and the no cycling sign southbound on the prom is just about opposite Chinatown and a bit before Summerhill. Coming down Summerhill there’s no such sign, as I expected, so it’s just more shit signage by the DOI. 

Also, in the summer when there was the fencing along the left hand side and of the prom the no cycling sign was about 150 yards after the start of the fencing so a cyclist noticing it was presumably meant to do a u turn back to the start of the fencing and use the shared space walkway. I presume that’s why it was eventually moved back to were it is now. 

The DOI workforce have always been useless at road signs. 

Edited by The Old Git
Bloody autocorrect

1 hour ago, The Old Git said:

I’ve never noticed an end to the no cycling zone and was wondering the same today. 

I did check while I was out and about this morning and the no cycling sign southbound on the prom is just about opposite Chinatown and a bit before Summerhill. Coming down Summerhill there’s no such sign, as I expected, so it’s just more shit signage by the DOI. 

Also, in the summer when there was the fencing along the left hand side and of the prom the no cycling sign was about 150 yards after the start of the fencing so a cyclist noticing it was presumably meant to do a u turn back to the start of the fencing and use the shared space walkway. I presume that’s why it was eventually moved back to were it is now. 

The DOI workforce have always been useless at road signs. 

I think you are correct. The signage has been poor all the way through the scheme. I remember there was a no cycling sign just outside the Taste of Bengal and there was also one saying no cycling on the walkway. I rang the prom team and asked and they said they would check it , but it never changed. I just ignored it and still do as its obviously wrong.

When they were working on the tram lines and one side of the carriageway of Queens prom there would often be keep left and keep right signs side by side at the temporary traffic lights. 

Going north along Loch prom at one time it was a lottery of keeping left would take you to Harris prom or be turned back along Market St. Bearing right it wasn’t always obvious if you’d proceed along the prom or be routed back along the walkway to the sea terminal. 

Any signage was far too late and you were committed. 

It also took them a week or more to work out that having lights controlling single file traffic by Jaks and an operating pedestrian crossing right at the lights wasn’t a good idea and they eventually closed the crossing. 

Edited by The Old Git

This taxi driver makes some good points about the roundels, particularly the use of crossing lights so near to them with the green lights being seen as an 'all clear' to drive onto the roundel, plus the ambiguity of the grey crossings.

Manx Radio Taxi drivers' concern over roundels confusion

Someone has decided to go for this road design, and they need to publicly say how these roads are intended to be used.

There is too much stupidity, selfishness and aggression in our drivers to leave it to courtesy and common sense.

• Like 2