Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Mr Penfold said:

Drove down there today and it is a complete embarrassment. If we have actually paid £25 million for that then somebody needs to be sacked. 

First time along full length of the prom since 'completion v.1' at the weekend..what a goddamn awful mess ... so many clashing colours/designs the parking bays are too narrow, the pink bit is a mess....  What is wrong with well executed classic?  Who will  be keeping the vast expanses of Chinese granite clean? If that's not kept on top of on a regular basis it will look shabby rather than aged very quickly.  'Style' over substance rarely works

• Like 3

On 1/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, Barlow said:

This taxi driver makes some good points about the roundels, particularly the use of crossing lights so near to them with the green lights being seen as an 'all clear' to drive onto the roundel, plus the ambiguity of the grey crossings.

Manx Radio Taxi drivers' concern over roundels confusion

Someone has decided to go for this road design, and they need to publicly say how these roads are intended to be used.

There is too much stupidity, selfishness and aggression in our drivers to leave it to courtesy and common sense.

Given his recent court case and previous convictions, I'd say there's a bit too much stupidity, selfishness and aggression in that particular taxi driver.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

In addition to my last post, this is the mentioned order:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/links/tls/SD/2021/2021-SD-0350.pdf

This document requires cars to be "parked wholly within a parking bay." At the north end of the prom. the bays are just a dotted while line parallel to the kerb. But the line is so close to the kerb you can just about get a Fiat 500 parked legally - well, you might be able to, but I would have no chance.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This document requires cars to be "parked wholly within a parking bay." At the north end of the prom. the bays are just a dotted while line parallel to the kerb. But the line is so close to the kerb you can just about get a Fiat 500 parked legally - well, you might be able to, but I would have no chance.

A rare thing, a fella admitting he's crap at driving.😉

IMG_20210915_142011.jpg

58 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

1.8m width I think is allowed, how many cars are that or less these days?.

They have had to alter the disabled bays at the north end too for some reason.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

IMG_20210915_142011.jpg

A dotted line is normally a guide and that is what we are seeing here. A solid white line ( like those at either end of the bay) are surely what they are talking about. Surely to goodness common sense will prevail. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

A dotted line is normally a guide and that is what we are seeing here. A solid white line ( like those at either end of the bay) are surely what they are talking about. Surely to goodness common sense will prevail. 

With your permission I will use your "cycling prohibited sign" defence if I get a ticket.

• Haha 1

Walked along promenade today, still lots of work to be done on tram tracks.

Are Douglas corporation going to do anything with walkway which is looking very tatty, railings rusted, sand & seaweed on walkway & beach is a right mess of stones & seaweed which is just shifted once a month or so!!

Hardly an attractive site for tourists! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

IMG_20210915_142011.jpg

looks like a business refurbing curbed alloy wheels is going to make a fortune.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

With your permission I will use your "cycling prohibited sign" defence if I get a ticket.

Nice one. That tickled me. Note that I am not liable if you get a fine. I would be well miffed if I got a ticket for straying over that dotted line when there are hundreds of cars and vans parked on double yellows all over Douglas and no one gives a toss. 

In the last minutes of the Project Board (they seem to have stopped bothering after the election) there's  a wonderful bit of irony:

image.png.fbd1b88e4bf15b12bdc8ca7d8cdab133.png

In other words Longworth is complaining because the road is too narrow because he insisted on making the tramway section wider to cater for completely imaginary trams that he was told not to cater for.  But obviously it's everyone else's fault and everyone else has to adapt. 

• Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In the last minutes of the Project Board (they seem to have stopped bothering after the election) there's  a wonderful bit of irony:

image.png.fbd1b88e4bf15b12bdc8ca7d8cdab133.png

In other words Longworth is complaining because the road is too narrow because he insisted on making the tramway section wider to cater for completely imaginary trams that he was told not to cater for.  But obviously it's everyone else's fault and everyone else has to adapt. 

This comedy is the gift that just keeps giving. Another reality show?