Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Walked along promenade today, still lots of work to be done on tram tracks.

Are Douglas corporation going to do anything with walkway which is looking very tatty, railings rusted, sand & seaweed on walkway & beach is a right mess of stones & seaweed which is just shifted once a month or so!!

Hardly an attractive site for tourists! 

I think you will find the walkway and railings are the responsibility of the DOI ,all the Corporation do is spend money dragging seaweed down the beach only to be washed up again in the next tide , you couldn't make this up ,  if the bandstand on Queens promenade is not painted soon the metalwork will be rusted away , same with the railings at the rear of the Tynwald buildings crying out for some basic  TLC , next thing you know they will beyond repair and require replacing ,  same with most government owned properties ,  a national disgrace 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Saw lots of controllers out yesterday, going through old bus station car park handing out tickets for presumably expired tickets, also along quay where some were parked illegally 

About time. If we ticketed all the illegally parked vehicles on the Island we would make some inroads into the pension deficit👍

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Owning an Internal Combustion-Engined car....coming soon..

lets hope common sense  will prevail , I wonder if the regs say if you park an electric vehicle  or motorcycle on  a non prescribed  parking space  (EG electric or Motorcycle ),  are you liable to receive a parking ticket , and what happens in the summer when there is no where near enough  designated motorcycle parking on Lock promenade , 

the whole thing is a shambles  and I witnessed 2 very near misses on the roundels at Broadway  today ,  when speaking to one of the shocked drivers , he said the lights were green so I thought I had the right of way ,      that pelican crossing at the bottom of Broadway is going to be the death of someone one of these days . but does anyone in DOI care !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Enforcement has commenced. ICEing now costs money. 

E19CA06D-5055-47ED-829E-3C8C3018B5E5.jpeg

But how thick can anyone be. You don't make it clear what your view is. 

My view is that if you park in a space that clearly says EV charging point ONLY you are just plain stupid. I would have had it towed away. People are so stupid. I have no sympathy. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But how thick can anyone be. You don't make it clear what your view is. 

My view is that if you park in a space that clearly says EV charging point ONLY you are just plain stupid. I would have had it towed away. People are so stupid. I have no sympathy. 

Wish they’d do that for drivers without blue badges who park in the very few disabled spaces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

lets hope common sense  will prevail , I wonder if the regs say if you park an electric vehicle  or motorcycle on  a non prescribed  parking space  (EG electric or Motorcycle ),  are you liable to receive a parking ticket , and what happens in the summer when there is no where near enough  designated motorcycle parking on Lock promenade , 

the whole thing is a shambles  and I witnessed 2 very near misses on the roundels at Broadway  today ,  when speaking to one of the shocked drivers , he said the lights were green so I thought I had the right of way ,      that pelican crossing at the bottom of Broadway is going to be the death of someone one of these days . but does anyone in DOI care !

14 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I fully agree with this and I’ve said it right from day one of their implementation. Especially after dark. There was a near miss there yesterday afternoon. If the roundels are supposed to be an unmarked junction why the hell did it make sense to anyone to put a crossing right on the main entry/exit point to the whole thing? It’s just asking for trouble. 

Whatever was wrong with good old fashioned Belisha beacons, if it’s supposed to be shared space? And amber flashing lights at each entrance to a roundel?

• Like 2