Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

...Already pushing this in DBC as well. Six disabled spaces in shaws brow are being converted to dual use disabled and EV charging. Exploring other options too. Much to be done in coming years. 

I don't know what the relevant legislation on the island is, but wouldn't it raise equality issues if able-bodied EV drivers are able to take disabled parking spaces?   That doesn't seem right... ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I don't know what the relevant legislation on the island is, but wouldn't it raise equality issues if able-bodied EV drivers are able to take disabled parking spaces?   That doesn't seem right... ?

Town hall observed use of the spaces and they aren’t being used by disabled drivers. We think it’s partially because of the location of the building which isn’t very wheelchair friendly. The new spaces on the prom are better. There are also seven more in the building so we’re not removing them completely.

Ultimately most/all the normal spaces have to be made EV ones when everyone drives one but that will take more effort.

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t get EV charging spaces in Douglas anyway. Even if you live in Ramsey it’s only 15 miles to get home. Who is that stupid they they’d drive to Douglas with not enough juice to get home with? It’s just pandering to the climate virtue-signaling and taking already scarce parking spaces out. Why can’t people just charge their cars at home? It’s not like they’re covering any great distance at all here when you have a range of 200 miles or more. 

Not everyone has a drive and you can hardly leave a cable across the pavement can you ?

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t get EV charging spaces in Douglas anyway. Even if you live in Ramsey it’s only 15 miles to get home. Who is that stupid they they’d drive to Douglas with not enough juice to get home with? It’s just pandering to the climate virtue-signaling and taking already scarce parking spaces out. Why can’t people just charge their cars at home? It’s not like they’re covering any great distance at all here when you have a range of 200 miles or more. 

Not everyone can charge at home (yet). I know a number of people who rely on public chargers. 

31 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

Not everyone has a drive and you can hardly leave a cable across the pavement can you ?

I know a couple who have two EVs and only have on street parking (admittedly in a quiet cul de sac) and this was something I raised with them. They have a home charger and the cable goes across the pavement in some trunking and has sensors that illuminate it at night if people approach it. 

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

To be honest if you own an EV and you don’t have home charging you’re basically an idiot. What will be revealed in time is that people are only really using these charging points to get free parking. They don’t need to charge their cars when they have a range of 200 miles plus and at most it’s 15 to 20 miles to get home to anywhere in the IOM. People are largely charging their cars at home and then just parking them on the prom and sticking a plug in them to get priority parking. They don’t desperately need a battery fill to get them 10 miles home. 

It's a fair point well made.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, finlo said:

That's probably why they come with a pre installed combustion engine!

Yes and what point are you making, hybrids can use the EV charging points, others suggested they were not needed, if you have a hybrid and you have let the petrol get low then definitely needed.