Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Neither will EVs in future. We don’t have a rapid charger network here yet, and it will be some time until we get one. Slowly more rapid chargers are being added (next ones at new Starbucks and KFC, then hopefully shoprite car parks and other locations)  but it takes time. If I use the 50kw one at the sea terminal, I can add 30 miles range in the time it takes to get an overpriced coffee from Costa. 

But in that time I can fill up with enough diesel/petrol to do 10 times that range and that charger at the sea terminal only charges one vehicle at a time.

Hydrogen is a much better solution imo.

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

So what's the point of them other than manufacturer profit?

The point of them is

• that they are much cheaper as they don't need great big expensive batteries. 
  • They are emission free for about 30miles (which is what many people do going to work)
  • They have an engine so you don't need to worry about recharging if you are stuck.
  • They recharge on the move anyway as well as plug in

Some would argue that you get the best of both worlds, some would argue you get the worst of both worlds

Horses for courses

Not sure how they work with public chargers and parking as I imagine they would charge up very quickly

While I agree with the decision to not extend the horse trams to the Sea Terminal, surely there is a serious question to be answered over where the money that was allocated to that stretch of tram track has gone? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-60085865

The original £26m scheme included the single track down to the Sea Terminal, so the cash must have gone somewhere.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

While I agree with the decision to not extend the horse trams to the Sea Terminal, surely there is a serious question to be answered over where the money that was allocated to that stretch of tram track has gone? 

The original £26m scheme included the single track down to the Sea Terminal, so the cash must have gone somewhere.

It was spent on other things on the prom that cost more than expected. It's long gone.

There wasn't a little piggy bank with money reserved for the section of horse tram. 

15 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You could argue the prom cost way more than expected for something that is less than what was expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Neither will EVs in future. We don’t have a rapid charger network here yet, and it will be some time until we get one. Slowly more rapid chargers are being added (next ones at new Starbucks and KFC, then hopefully shoprite car parks and other locations)  but it takes time. If I use the 50kw one at the sea terminal, I can add 30 miles range in the time it takes to get an overpriced coffee from Costa. 

Yeah but  -  reading your post just conjures up two indelible images in my mind.  One is of half the population of Douglas trying to run before they can crawl, let alone be able to walk, and the other is of some idiot futilely trying to balance a pyramid on its apex.  Neither will work and nor will the promotion of EVs if you don't have a proper foundation (ie a widespread and accessible charging network) in place to begin with.

Get the charging points in first and also work out a way to assist people to install charging points at home.  Then get people using EVs.

I really can't believe that converting disabled only parking bays into shared use ones for EV charging is the way to go.  It's a retrograde step and simply demonstrates that the corporation has as little regard for disabled car users as able-bodied drivers appear to have.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

... They are only a made up invention to try to fool some people that they’re saving the world. 

And I can't help feeling that's true of most people who have EVs at the moment.  Most of the people I know who have one do so because (1) they see them as a status symbol and virtue magnet, but (2) the rest of their lifestyles are such that any environmental gains accrued from an EV are cancelled out many times over!

I'll happily admit that I'm probably as much of a middle-class tosser as anybody with an EV, but I'll bet my impact on the environment is much less than theirs.

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Manx Utilities are actively reviewing the electric vehicle charging tariff with a view to scrapping it due to rising costs. 

If people can afford an electric vehicle then they can afford the electricity to power it. 

With a big rise in consumer electricity around the corner too I'm 100% positive will follow.  

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Manx Utilities are actively reviewing the electric vehicle charging tariff with a view to scrapping it due to rising costs. 

If people can afford an electric vehicle then they can afford the electricity to power it. 

Scrapping it or updating it. They can't scrap it can they? Then there wouldn't be one. They need to increase the cost surely as electricity must be more expensive now