Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

9 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Yeah but  -  reading your post just conjures up two indelible images in my mind.  One is of half the population of Douglas trying to run before they can crawl, let alone be able to walk, and the other is of some idiot futilely trying to balance a pyramid on its apex.  Neither will work and nor will the promotion of EVs if you don't have a proper foundation (ie a widespread and accessible charging network) in place to begin with.

Get the charging points in first and also work out a way to assist people to install charging points at home.  Then get people using EVs.

I really can't believe that converting disabled only parking bays into shared use ones for EV charging is the way to go.  It's a retrograde step and simply demonstrates that the corporation has as little regard for disabled car users as able-bodied drivers appear to have.  

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Six spaces are being converted, out of, I think, 12 or 14 in the building. The use of them was observed over a number of weeks and I believe one car used it once, otherwise none of them were ever used. We could have gotten rid of the six disabled bays completely but instead they were turned into dual purpose ones, which coincidentally also addresses the point that disabled drivers may drive EVs. EV spaces also have to be of a certain size if they are to fall under the fast track rules that mean no planning permission is required. If we had decided to convert existing spaces elsewhere, we would a: have lost revenue as six EV spaces would take up maybe 8 or 9 normal spaces, and b: required planning permission, both things that ultimately the ratepayers would have to pay for. This way the MUA puts them in and we benefit from increased revenue. Looks like a win for me. 

As for do EV infra first and then get people using EVs: what do you think this is, East Germany in 1985? Have you had a look at car sales stats and the types of new models being aggressively pushed by manufacturers in recent times? It's EVs, EVs everywhere. You can't play Honecker and decide people shouldn't have a certain type of car before a certain time. The big industry push is in full swing, as are effort by Manx Utilities to get the island ready. There are plans to add more and more chargers, to help people in apartments, and the guy who installs the home chargers has been working flat out for months. 

OOOps, not can you say that Hitler was wrong to give us the Volks Wagon before we could pay for it???

In order not to divide society, Petrol / EV, there has to be some mechanism whereby we do not perceive that some part of our society is not being given a free lift to charge their MilkFloats without paying a fair rate for that service?

This will change over time as we get closer to an electric world but we are not there yet, why antagonise ICEers in this interim?

If you Amadeus, plug your ev in to indicate that you are charging when you are fully charged, you are abusing the system???

and being bloody selfish!!!

Edited by Kopek
a little more spittle

There are @ 730 EVs on the Island out of 45,000+ vehicles?

ETA The Nissan Leaf has been available since @ 2010. So in 11 years across all manufacturers, there's around 730 EVs here. And with the way the Island economy is going,  I suspect that there won't be the huge proliferation that some people are predicting. What there will be is a huge rise in the value of s/h serviceable ICE vehicles.

Edited by Non-Believer
correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, joebean said:

Like the horse trams, Tony Brown is a relic of a bygone age. Listening to him will do nothing other than increase the debt to be paid by future generations. Why the media bother with him, I don’t know. 

Like the million quid should be a relic of a bygone age ! that's why they embrace the old guard !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I still believe that evs are too expensive for the ordinary, working person.

Just now, ellanvannin2010 said:

And impractical

There's a large percentage of the population who can only afford cars sub £5k 

It's going to be a while before there's EVs they can buy. The practicality issues remain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mercedes EQS - 485 miles. The longest-range electric car currently on sale is also one of the newest: the Mercedes EQS.

Mercedes EQE - 410 miles. ... 

Tesla Model S - 405 miles. ... 

BMW iX - 380 miles. ... 

Ford Mustang Mach-E - 379 miles. ... 

BMW i4 - 367 miles. ... 

Tesla Model 3 - 360 miles. ... 

Tesla Model X - 360 miles. ...

The theoretical mileages on these is beginning to look acceptable for a replacement for internal combustion ....... however not one of these is anywhere near the cost most ordinary folk can afford ! The list is the best range cars.

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

Mercedes EQS - 485 miles. The longest-range electric car currently on sale is also one of the newest: the Mercedes EQS.

Mercedes EQE - 410 miles. ... 

Tesla Model S - 405 miles. ... 

BMW iX - 380 miles. ... 

Ford Mustang Mach-E - 379 miles. ... 

BMW i4 - 367 miles. ... 

Tesla Model 3 - 360 miles. ... 

Tesla Model X - 360 miles. ...

The theoretical mileages on these is beginning to look acceptable for a replacement for internal combustion ....... however not one of these is anywhere near the cost most ordinary folk can afford ! The list is the best range cars.

I doubt on a cold wet night you would get anywhere near those quoted.

Petrol/diesel cars have that sort of range and can "recharge to full" in around 5 minutes. I doubt any current EV can do the same.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Kopek said:

OOOps, not can you say that Hitler was wrong to give us the Volks Wagon before we could pay for it???

In order not to divide society, Petrol / EV, there has to be some mechanism whereby we do not perceive that some part of our society is not being given a free lift to charge their MilkFloats without paying a fair rate for that service?

This will change over time as we get closer to an electric world but we are not there yet, why antagonise ICEers in this interim?

If you Amadeus, plug your ev in to indicate that you are charging when you are fully charged, you are abusing the system???

and being bloody selfish!!!

Jeez, why all that anger? EV drivers have until now been early adopters and paid sometimes twice or even more for their cars when compared to ICE equivalents. Over a decade ago, Steve tried to sell EVs over here and it didn't work due to price. I drove the C1 EV back then and it was nice but old tech. Barely made it to Ramsey over the mountain and back. Today's EVs are light years better and slowly coming down in price. EV owners aren't being given a free lift. We pay more for the car and we pay for the fuel. What are you on about with charging while full?