Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

37 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Jeez, why all that anger? EV drivers have until now been early adopters and paid sometimes twice or even more for their cars when compared to ICE equivalents. Over a decade ago, Steve tried to sell EVs over here and it didn't work due to price. I drove the C1 EV back then and it was nice but old tech. Barely made it to Ramsey over the mountain and back. Today's EVs are light years better and slowly coming down in price. EV owners aren't being given a free lift. We pay more for the car and we pay for the fuel. What are you on about with charging while full? 

Purely out of interest, who pays the capital cost for the installation of the public chargers?.

Is it MUA/DBC and cost is recovered by usage or is it just a subsidy to encourage greater usage?, which actually is fine if the concept is valid.

Also the ones on the promenade are only 7kw, do you know if the below ground infrastructure has been installed to allow for later installation of 50kw+ chargers?

Edited by ellanvannin2010

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Purely out of interest, who pays the capital cost for the installation of the public chargers?.

Is it MUA/DBC and cost is recovered by usage or is it just a subsidy to encourage greater usage?, which actually is fine if the concept is valid.

Also the ones on the promenade are only 7kw, do you know if the below ground infrastructure has been installed to allow for later installation of 50kw+ chargers?

As far as I know it’s all MUA who put them in. They have a rev share agreement with podpoint, so ultimately will earn from it. From discussions I’ve had, I know that the prom is mostly geared towards the smaller units. If you wanted a load of 50s (or 75 soon as the 50 is being discontinued) along that stretch of road, you’d need better cables in the ground. Which is why the idea of a charging hub by the power station came up. You could stick a few really big ones near there and infra work would be minimal. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

As far as I know it’s all MUA who put them in. They have a rev share agreement with podpoint, so ultimately will earn from it. From discussions I’ve had, I know that the prom is mostly geared towards the smaller units. If you wanted a load of 50s (or 75 soon as the 50 is being discontinued) along that stretch of road, you’d need better cables in the ground. Which is why the idea of a charging hub by the power station came up. You could stick a few really big ones near there and infra work would be minimal. 

Haven't we just had the promenade up for an ongoing 3+ years? Surely a sign of joined-up, foresighted Government would have been to put "better cables" in the ground during the process to accommodate these uprated charging units and the predicted volumes of users?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Haven't we just had the promenade up for an ongoing 3+ years? Surely a sign of joined-up, foresighted Government would have been to put "better cables" in the ground during the process to accommodate these uprated charging units and the predicted volumes of users?

Hahahaha

Very funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The prom has been pre-cabled for 30+ chargers and in such a way that they can just pull the cables through without digging. The MUA knows what they’re doing ;) No need for 300kw monsters along the prom, though. That would require cabling from the power station all the way along there. The 7kw ones and maybe a few 22s are enough for the type of charging being done there. As I said, a rapid hub at the power station is the place to stick your three digit chargers. Less digging, more charging. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

So it appears that all elec. users are subsidising the minority who have elec. vehicles?

That will be popular when the coming tariff rises hit! 

14 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The prom has been pre-cabled for 30+ chargers and in such a way that they can just pull the cables through without digging. The MUA knows what they’re doing ;) No need for 300kw monsters along the prom, though. That would require cabling from the power station all the way along there. The 7kw ones and maybe a few 22s are enough for the type of charging being done there. As I said, a rapid hub at the power station is the place to stick your three digit chargers. Less digging, more charging. 

We shouldn't be cluttering the Promenade with EVs and their chargers. We should be removing all cars from the Promenade and building an dedicated car park. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:19 PM, Non-Believer said:

Tony Brown who created the DOI...

You couldn't make it up....

Screenshot_20220127-044158_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
ETA Tidied screenshot up

I'm not sure if this should be in the TT 2022? thread, but anyway, the question has been asked if the fair is coming to Douglas this TT week: Manx Radio: Will the fair return for this year's TT?

Every 'hopeful' Minister Tim Crookall has found a new phrase: "I would imagine..."

He's a nice guy and all that and people in Peel (that's the west side of the Island, opposite from the Town of Douglas) obviously have confidence in him, but I'm not sure Tim should have re-entered the foray of national politics, particularly considering his seemingly laissez-faire, fucked if I know, and 'hopeful' attitude towards Douglas Promenade.

33 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I'm not sure if this should be in the TT 2022? thread, but anyway, the question has been asked if the fair is coming to Douglas this TT week: Manx Radio: Will the fair return for this year's TT?

Every 'hopeful' Minister Tim Crookall has found a new phrase: "I would imagine..."

He's a nice guy and all that and people in Peel (that's the west side of the Island, opposite from the Town of Douglas) obviously have confidence in him, but I'm not sure Tim should have re-entered the foray of national politics, particularly considering his seemingly laissez-faire, fucked if I know, and 'hopeful' attitude towards Douglas Promenade.

If you took away his vagueness, his hopefulness and general laidback attitude.....what would be left?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Oh please not that f…..g fair .

I would have a lot more respect for Minister Tim if he had said that to the Manx radio reporter.

• Like 1