Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

I walked past that yesterday. I suspect that is some snagging work, as this was one of many spots where the levels were wrong and water was gathering instead of draining. The works seem to involve a new surface drain.

It just seems a massive shame that we can't get something as simple as levels right first time around. Now it will be patched. 

All the other fake crossings and zebra crossings have the same issue, water pools either side on the dipped pavement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Anyone noticed the latest minor faux pas? Top of the arches (Mona Drive), 20mph speed limit zone, states 'Promenade'. 30mph zone starts by the empress, before you get to the bottom of the arches..........

It's going to be 30mph from Empress to Sunmerhill eventually.  But I guess the signs are mixed up?

23 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Yes... fair enough. But no 30 when you get to the promenade (which is now back to 30 at that point). Was the plan not originally 20 the whole length of the prom? Or was it always just sea terminal to Empress?

People are already driving at 20 or even less I followed a car the other day doing 10 from the Sea Terminal and at every Roundel came to a full stop although there was nothing coming the other way, and the there are ones who treat as a roundabout and do a U turn, going to be carnage TT week, if it happens

Edited by alpha-acid
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

People are already driving at 20 or even less I followed a car the other day doing 10 from the Sea Terminal and at every Roundel came to a full stop although there was nothing coming the other way, and the there are ones who treat as a roundabout and do a U turn, going to be carnage TT week, if it happens

The other roundel thing I've noticed is people going over it at weird angles. 

Some get to where the stop/give way line would be on a normal junction and then cut right at 90 degrees, like turning down a one way street I guess - putting them right in front of cars coming in the other direction. 

The other one is people going across it at about 45 degrees slicing in front of cars and vehicles that are already halfway or more across. 

Although that seems really hazardous i guess because they're 'unmarked junctions' then nobody is really in the wrong?  They just don't scream safety even if cars use them at 5mph, they remind me more of driving in Bangalore

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I've been wondering at what point people are going to stop driving on the red tram track area and stick to the tarmac. I suspect the roadworks have conditioned people to drive in the middle of the road. 

Why would people stop driving on it? 

The tarmac 'lanes' are narrow and when you account for bad parkers overhanging into the carriageway it becomes necessary to drive on the concrete.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Why would people stop driving on it? 

The tarmac 'lanes' are narrow and when you account for bad parkers overhanging into the carriageway it becomes necessary to drive on the concrete.

They're plenty wide enough. I followed a transit van the other day who fitted on the tarmac with room to spare meanwhile the Micra driver behind me was on the tram tracks and barely in my rearview. It's just poor driving.

As to why not, you'll end up with a face full of horsetram for your troubles soon enough.

43 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I've been wondering at what point people are going to stop driving on the red tram track area and stick to the tarmac. I suspect the roadworks have conditioned people to drive in the middle of the road. 

An alternate point of view is that although cars reverse in, when pulling out the driver still has restricted view of oncoming traffic. If the car is parked alongside a transit, several feet of car are sticking out into the traffic lane before the driver has a clear view. Driving toward the centre line reduces the chance of a collision with a car pulling out.