Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

36 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

what the f**k these tombstones are that have now been added to the crossing at the Villiers

They go by various names:

Granite Gateway Monolith
Gateway Marker
Place Marker (Street Furniture)
Granite Marker
Gateway Feature
Bollard

They are supposed to each have three ground level up-lighters. I don't recall seeing those, but I have not closely examined them.

Each contains bespoke (i.e. expensive) artwork which "is visible to pedestrians".

I don't think it would be a good idea for a group of art aficionados to hang around in the middle of the road discussing whether or not the artist is making a meaningful statement or painting outside the lines. Personally, I still think Doris's crack would be more appropriate.

• Like 1

I'll defer to  you on Doris's Crack but maybe it is the start of a re-assessment of safety, which we should welcome.

If at first you don't......................

Carefully designed not to take a Bollard but something to piss on Saturday nights?

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Why on earth stuff something that big right in the middle of a zebra crossing? 

There is a reasonable chance that they are not zebra crossings because they do not comply with the rules set out in the road designer's guide to pedestrian crossings - or whatever it is called.

It would be amusing if the forthcoming safety audit that Crookall has announced decides that these crossings have to  comply with published standards - and the Granite Gateway Monoliths have to be  relocated.

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I'll defer to  you on Doris's Crack but maybe it is the start of a re-assessment of safety, which we should welcome.

If at first you don't......................

Carefully designed not to take a Bollard but something to piss on Saturday nights?

fuck it up, try try try again?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It would be amusing if the forthcoming safety audit that Crookall has announced decides that these crossings have to  comply with published standards - and the Granite Gateway Monoliths have to be  relocated.

It would but I don't think it will happen. 

They'll commission a review to tell everyone how safe the Promenade is and how DOI did such a good job with all the innovative bits they've added on. 

Joney Faragher to raise the issue of the missing horsetram stretch between the War Memorial and Sea Terminal in Tynwald this month. When is it going to be finished and what effect will it have on tourism?

It's not and none whatsoever?

• Like 5

12 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Well there’s no zig zag lines on the approach to the “crossing” for a start which I thought where a formal designation under the Highway Code to tell drivers to slow down and approach with caution. 

The zig-zag lines actually mean you can't park there or overtake the vehicle in front

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Two-lane said:

They go by various names:

Granite Gateway Monolith
Gateway Marker
Place Marker (Street Furniture)
Granite Marker
Gateway Feature
Bollard

They are supposed to each have three ground level up-lighters. I don't recall seeing those, but I have not closely examined them.

There’s some electrical work going on the ones at the bottom of Broadway / central prom. I think you can see where the lights will be on the bollards.