Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Not directly relevant to the prom, but....

There was some interesting evidence given to the committee enquiring into the state of public footpaths aired today.  The revenue budget for highway  maintenance has been cut from £12m to just over £1m.

Is it any wonder we have roads in the state they are?  How can anyone justify the expenditure on one road, whilst allowing maintenance of the the rest of the road network to be so severely cut?

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Think it was stated to be £900k but as sure as eggs are eggs it's going to end up being much more. 

And for some unknown reason zero minutes have been produced for public since  10 September 2011. Disgrace that there that far behind and clearly I'd say they dont like what story they tell. A few months they were really surprisingly enlightening as to what was happening but clearly theres been a change of mentality. Coincides with Black's departure maybe ?    

Or Crookall's arrival.

Interesting spell check name "Rock Fall"

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

There was some interesting evidence given to the committee enquiring into the state of public footpaths aired today.  The revenue budget for highway  maintenance has been cut from £12m to just over £1m.

Is it any wonder we have roads in the state they are?  How can anyone justify the expenditure on one road, whilst allowing maintenance of the the rest of the road network to be so severely cut?

Well I suppose treasury put the squeeze on budgets with constant overspending & money was diverted to promenade, Liverpool etc

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well I suppose treasury put the squeeze on budgets with constant overspending & money was diverted to promenade, Liverpool etc

A good decision, We can all admire the Liverpool folly whilst driving around on sub standard roads and tripping up on even worse footpaths and pavements. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Thats just mindblowing that cut to budget. Just wonder are we not getting the full story with DOI finances . I well remember Harmer on commencement of Prom works he stated that it would have to come in on budget and if it didnt any overspend would have to come out of the DOI budget . It's clear , to me anyway, that the contract with all the cockups and overrun it must have have exceeded budget massively. So maybe this is what we aren't getting told how much the whole scheme as actually cost taxpayers and its being hidden .  .

5 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Thats just mindblowing that cut to budget. Just wonder are we not getting the full story with DOI finances . I well remember Harmer on commencement of Prom works he stated that it would have to come in on budget and if it didnt any overspend would have to come out of the DOI budget . It's clear , to me anyway, that the contract with all the cockups and overrun it must have have exceeded budget massively. So maybe this is what we aren't getting told how much the whole scheme as actually cost taxpayers and its being hidden .  .

It was on MR.  As I was driving, I wasn't taking notes, but it was the Highways chief (Robinson?) and he explained that maintenance was a revenue item, and subject to different rules for actual expenditure (presumably easier) so the prom would surely be capital and subject to more stringent rules?

I am not sure how easy it is to jump from capital to revenue, but presume that it is set in the budget so a policy decision and not DOI cooking the books. 

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It was on MR.  As I was driving, I wasn't taking notes, but it was the Highways chief (Robinson?) and he explained that maintenance was a revenue item, and subject to different rules for actual expenditure (presumably easier) so the prom would surely be capital and subject to more stringent rules?

I am not sure how easy it is to jump from capital to revenue, but presume that it is set in the budget so a policy decision and not DOI cooking the books. 

Its simple. Anything that is new is Capital. Anything existing (where you are repairing/maintaining it) is Revenue.

Its the same the world over. There are some schemes where it could be interpreted either way. For example if you are resurfacing a footpath (like was done on QB road) you could argue it is capital as you are creating a new asset, but you could argue it is Revenue as you are only maintaining an existing asset. 

The rules (as you state)  are not really different but for Revenue you get an annual budget and have some freedom to spend it as you see fit, whereas capital would be one off projects where you apply for the money in advance.

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its simple. Anything that is new is Capital. Anything existing (where you are repairing/maintaining it) is Revenue.

Its the same the world over. There are some schemes where it could be interpreted either way. For example if you are resurfacing a footpath (like was done on QB road) you could argue it is capital as you are creating a new asset, but you could argue it is Revenue as you are only maintaining an existing asset. 

The rules (as you state)  are not really different but for Revenue you get an annual budget and have some freedom to spend it as you see fit, whereas capital would be one off projects where you apply for the money in advance.

Exactly, which is why I doubt that the then existing maintenance budget would have been applied to the prom.  However, it is highly likely that at a budget round the maintenance budget was cut on the basis that overall funding should be focused on the prom. In other words, DOI didn't have the money sitting around for maintenance to put towards the prom. 

Edited by Gladys

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

So even these figures that Stu Peters was good enough to post only a couple of months ago aren't relevant.

Screenshot_20211121-163915_Chrome.jpg

30 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Exactly, which is why I doubt that the then existing maintenance budget would have been applied to the prom.  However, it is highly likely that at a budget round the maintenance budget was cut on the basis that overall funding should be focused on the prom. In other words, DOI didn't have the money sitting around for maintenance to put towards the prom. 

I see what you are saying. Essentially revenue and capital comes from the same pot at the end of the day. The only subtle difference would be that the DOI would have a revenue budget that they are free to spend whereas they would have to get capital money from treasury as a one off request. 

So, yes, in effect treasury might say, come on, you have had all that capital, how about reducing your revenue spend next year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I see what you are saying. Essentially revenue and capital comes from the same pot at the end of the day. The only subtle difference would be that the DOI would have a revenue budget that they are free to spend whereas they would have to get capital money from treasury as a one off request. 

So, yes, in effect treasury might say, come on, you have had all that capital, how about reducing your revenue spend next year. 

Exactly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

how many of the hundreds of extra government staff recruited during the last 12 months have been installed at the DoI?