Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Was down there today for the first time for months, I couldn't see anything that is better than the old prom except maybe the road surface.

The lost parking and the stupid coloured in bays where parking used to be are just beyond belief.

Was there actually an initial plan designed for the benefit of the user or was it just a hotch potch of individual dreams lashed together and altered as it was built?

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's 381 separate defects marked as "CURRENT".  An awful lot of them to do with drainage.

Thats one serious list . Unless they fire a load of guys at it its not all getting done in 28 days. Snagging is a nightmare as just getting the right items to replace/repair takes ages then theres the actual carrying it out. Also loads of the defects are relative to drainage channels blocked and the likes. Your going too see diggers down there opening up areas mark my words . As OMOBONO said above the jet wash/ power wash isn't working in most cases according to a convo my friend had with one of the workers . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Thats one serious list . Unless they fire a load of guys at it its not all getting done in 28 days. Snagging is a nightmare as just getting the right items to replace/repair takes ages then theres the actual carrying it out. Also loads of the defects are relative to drainage channels blocked and the likes. Your going too see diggers down there opening up areas mark my words . As OMOBONO said above the jet wash/ power wash isn't working in most cases according to a convo my friend had with one of the workers . 

It's a tough gig trying to jet wash away concrete.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's a tough gig trying to jet wash away concrete.

Very true but guess that was the first and easiest solution thought off. I'm sure it would loosen up some but most not !. Glad I'm out of the game now as always got lumbered with snagging on sites due to abilities to do most jobs . And snagging with potentially the world and its wife clocking every move is a total nightmare .  No hiding places on the Prom .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

Sea level rise over the next few decades is a matter of conjecture, perhaps a few feet, but nobody predicts a fall.  Whatever the prom designers predicted when the plans were on the drawing board will probably be exceeded, it seems. 

In the end, the sea will have it back if it wants it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, war baby said:

Sea level rise over the next few decades is a matter of conjecture, perhaps a few feet, but nobody predicts a fall.  Whatever the prom designers predicted when the plans were on the drawing board will probably be exceeded, it seems. 

In the end, the sea will have it back if it wants it.

This is why we will 'need' the DOI's next massively complicated project 'The Great (Sea) Wall of Douglas'. 

• Like 1

Please remember,  a promenade is a place for promenadeing! The actual promenade is a disgrace,  no sign of any improvement to the promenade.  As for the road which runs along side the promenade,  after x years and y million pounds at least it is flat so the car does not bounce all over the place.  I'm sure a simple resurface would have sorted that out.

Whilst writing the lighting is crap.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NoTail said:

Please remember,  a promenade is a place for promenadeing! The actual promenade is a disgrace,  no sign of any improvement to the promenade.  As for the road which runs along side the promenade,  after x years and y million pounds at least it is flat so the car does not bounce all over the place.  I'm sure a simple resurface would have sorted that out.

Whilst writing the lighting is crap.

Overall a great sucess then !! And its still not finished if that day will ever come . 

A few days ago Crookall, responding to a question from Moorhouse about prom. pedestrian crossing safety, said in a Tynwald session that two safety audits had already been carried out.

If you go to the IoM FoI site and search for "Douglas Promenade Safety Audits" you will find these documents.

It's to much for me to analyse at this time of night, so I will leave that to the real ManxForum experts. I'm going to have a beer.

(I congratulate the FoI people for responding in 3 working days - if only the DoI were so efficient)

• Like 1

Crookall when asked whether we would be following the new Highway Code recently implemented over the water was non committal he said not at the moment.   The big issue with the new Highway Code are cyclists apparently they are to be encouraged to ride in the middle of the road.   I cannot see that working on the promenade especially when the horse trams are running.

• Like 1