Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

A few days ago Crookall, responding to a question from Moorhouse about prom. pedestrian crossing safety, said in a Tynwald session that two safety audits had already been carried out.

If you go to the IoM FoI site and search for "Douglas Promenade Safety Audits" you will find these documents.

It's to much for me to analyse at this time of night, so I will leave that to the real ManxForum experts. I'm going to have a beer.

(I congratulate the FoI people for responding in 3 working days - if only the DoI were so efficient)

Didn't he say another would be carried out too?

The amount of yellow barricades still on the "finished" prom is a bit of a worry.  

Also watched a car use the red or pink centre panel as a right turn lane southbound at the Sefton roundel today, obscuring the view from the right if you wanted to go straight across.  Add to that the angled parking spaces needing your attention if you want a park (needless to say, lots of small cars hiding themselves away so what looks at a long view like an empty space, isn't)  and the unmarked crossings, interspersed with pelican crossings and traditional zebra crossings, but no zig zags anywhere and Loch Prom is a test of nerve. 

Why couldn't it just be a deep re-surface and services upgrade job? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/7/2022 at 6:39 PM, offshoremanxman said:

Never mind the roundels can someone tell me what the f**k these tombstones are that have now been added to the crossing at the Villiers?They actually block the view of pedestrians approaching the middle of the road.

Ref. Douglas Promenade Stage 2 Road Safety Audit, Published July 2021, para 3.2.1

Quote:

Summary: Features (believed to be sculptures) could mask pedestrian on crossing increasing
risk of collision exacerbated due to inadequate central space on Zebra crossing to
accommodate pedestrians

And, quote:

Recommendation:
Remove or suitably protect central features. If central area is inadequate to safely
accommodate a pedestrian refuge then mark this clearly as a one-stage pedestrian crossing or
provide adequate width pedestrian refuge feature with kerb upstands and keep left bollards.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Has any budget been approved for the 'Wall' ?

I don't think they've even fully come up with the design for what it will be. 

If those glass blocks they proposed for the Ramsey Harbour wall are anything to go by then it will be something for the Crayonistas to enjoy  

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Ref. Douglas Promenade Stage 2 Road Safety Audit, Published July 2021, para 3.2.1

Quote:

Summary: Features (believed to be sculptures) could mask pedestrian on crossing increasing
risk of collision exacerbated due to inadequate central space on Zebra crossing to
accommodate pedestrians

And, quote:

Recommendation:
Remove or suitably protect central features. If central area is inadequate to safely
accommodate a pedestrian refuge then mark this clearly as a one-stage pedestrian crossing or
provide adequate width pedestrian refuge feature with kerb upstands and keep left bollards.

Strangely they also identified the issues with the roundels. 

They had it all in writing but still ploughed on regardless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

If those glass blocks they proposed for the Ramsey Harbour wall are anything to go by then it will be something for the Crayonistas to enjoy  

I'm sure there was something mentioned awhile ago now about design , height and how long it was proposed to go as remember some saying it wouldnt fit in and restrict view . Doesnt matter anyway as the sea will win in the battle of who goes where lol 

11 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Here you go ....read and weep ! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-sea-wall-to-be-built-straight-away/

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

After the success of the prom reconstruction I can see nothing going wrong with this at all... 

I wonder if they're ever going to put the walkway surface back to how it was or is there a pile of granite blocks waiting to go down?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The big issue with the new Highway Code are cyclists apparently they are to be encouraged to ride in the middle of the road.

Not quite: "the Highway Code simply says cyclists should use the centre of the lane, and even then only at certain times, for example approaching junctions or on narrow sections of roads, where a car overtaking would cause danger"

Common myths about what UK Highway Code changes will mean

I'll cycle into to the side thanks very much HWC, its a damn sight safer and easier to get out of the way when i get close passed by the 4th white van that morning who drivers are on the phone and drinking the shit excuse for coffee they insist on buying from McD's at the same time.

Centre lane just puts me in the firing line, its not worth the risk.

FYI, i wear a helmet,hi viz, have lights, have insurance and pay 'ROAD TAX' before anyone loses their shit, like they do if you even come out slightly pro-cycling on FB comments. 

These crossings are officially know as "pedestrian courtesy crossings". Not many people know that...

Traffic is legally not required to stop at these crossings.

In the second safety audit there are responses from the designers about individual problems -

"DESIGNER RESPONSE:

To provide all facilities as zebra crossings would remove any potential ambiguity (but we think
the ambiguity has been reduced by the modifications) but would lead to inordinate stopping and
starting of vehicles within the scheme."

Which to me implies they expect that sometimes traffic will NOT stop at pedestrian courtesy crossings. I wonder if pedestrians, in particular children, are aware of that.

So, whilst driving on the prom., to prevent inordinate stopping and starting of vehicles, don't stop for pedestrians on these crossings.