Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, The Chief said:

I'll cycle into to the side thanks very much HWC, its a damn sight safer and easier to get out of the way when i get close passed by the 4th white van that morning who drivers are on the phone and drinking the shit excuse for coffee they insist on buying from McD's at the same time.

Centre lane just puts me in the firing line, its not worth the risk.

FYI, i wear a helmet,hi viz, have lights, have insurance and pay 'ROAD TAX' before anyone loses their shit, like they do if you even come out slightly pro-cycling on FB comments. 

This “ROAD TAX’ you pay. 
Presumably this is in respect of your bicycle (s). What mechanism do you use to pay it given that there is no method of collecting it as it is not payable on pushbikes?

Do you make a voluntary contribution to the  Treasury?

I have this horrible feeling you are going to use the cyclists twisted logic and say you pay it as a motorist.

The Road tax (call it what you will ) is per vehicle and does not include any others.
Should I have two cars I would not expect to be exempt from paying the charge on Car B  because I have paid it on Car A 

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This “ROAD TAX’ you pay. 
Presumably this is in respect of your bicycle (s). What mechanism do you use to pay it given that there is no method of collecting it as it is not payable on pushbikes?

Do you make a voluntary contribution to the  Treasury?

I have this horrible feeling you are going to use the cyclists twisted logic and say you pay it as a motorist.

The Road tax (call it what you will ) is per vehicle and does not include any others.
Should I have two cars I would not expect to be exempt from paying the charge on Car B  because I have paid it on Car A 

its an emissions tax, at the moment bike's don't make emissions therefore they are exempt, when that changes i will pay happily, i pay tax on my 2 cars even though i rarely use them through the spring summer as i walk and bike to work.

I think thats pretty fair.

FYI they are not e-bikes thats a whole other argument.

15 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Well I don’t.

Call it what you will but I can’t use my car on the road without paying this charge, yet you can freely cycle away on the same roads ,to your heart’s content,on your pushbikes.

You even get lanes built or marked for your exclusive use as a cyclist which doesn’t cost you a single penny (outside of general taxes which we all pay).

And I’m not particularly pointing the finger at yourself but many of your Ilk are a nuisance, and often a danger, on the roads.

Anyway this has all been argued ad infinitum and common sense has yet to prevail. 

Edited by The Voice of Reason

26 minutes ago, The Chief said:

its an emissions tax, at the moment bike's don't make emissions therefore they are exempt, when that changes i will pay happily, i pay tax on my 2 cars even though i rarely use them through the spring summer as i walk and bike to work.

FYI they are not e-bikes thats a whole other argument.

Yes they do. Unless you've invented some kind of perpetual energy bicycle?

The rider produces Co2 

27 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I don’t.

Call it what you will but I can’t use my car on the road without paying this charge, yet you can freely cycle away on the same roads ,to your heart’s content,on your pushbikes.

You even get lanes built or marked for your exclusive use as a cyclist which doesn’t cost you a single penny (outside of general taxes which we all pay).

And I’m not particularly pointing the finger at yourself but many of your Ilk are a nuisance, and often a danger, on the roads.

Anyway this has all been argued ad infinitum and common sense has yet to prevail. 

Personally, I never attach common sense to anything you post...:thumbsup:

You know whats funny, as someone who rides a bike you decide to ignore the HWC new advice as you don't want to get in the way anymore than you already do and its not good enough also you pay taxes on my cars but ride a bike instead and thats not good enough either.

i fucking give up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Cyclists tend to be more productive and upbeat members of society and so it follows earn more, pay more tax and probably help more people out than old grumblers. 

I pay car tax for a car that I keep on the drive for when I need it, ie on the occasions where it is not practical to walk or cycle, so  I use it minimally.  So you are benefitting from my tax paying for the roads you are ruining. The only fair way is to tax by milage at the pump / charger as that can also factor in emissions to the tax, surely a 'voice of reason' would have to concur.