Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I don’t.

Call it what you will but I can’t use my car on the road without paying this charge, yet you can freely cycle away on the same roads ,to your heart’s content,on your pushbikes.

You even get lanes built or marked for your exclusive use as a cyclist which doesn’t cost you a single penny (outside of general taxes which we all pay).

And I’m not particularly pointing the finger at yourself but many of your Ilk are a nuisance, and often a danger, on the roads.

Anyway this has all been argued ad infinitum and common sense has yet to prevail. 

Genuine question TVOR

You come across as a retired age person who is not happy with modern " Woke" type attitudes in the main and , fair play I am close to that myself BUT....

What is with your Rabid Hatred of Bicyclists? 

I find them mostly aggressive road rage assholes but keep it to myself. 

What's your story? Did you have a really bad personal experience or something?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well the ignorant gits who cycle on the pavements expWell the ignorant gits who cycle on the pavements expecting pedestrians to move aside, go up one way streets, jump through lights etc shouldecting pedestrians to move aside, go up one way streets, jump through lights etc should have their bikes scrapped!!

Yes that's fair, so long as the ignorant gitswho drive and park on the pavements expecting pedestrians to move aside, go up one way streets, jump through lights etc shouldecting pedestrians to move aside, go up one way streets, jump through lights etc should have their vehicles scrapped as well.!!!

• Thanks 1

We just have really poor road standards on the island. All the way from basic maintenance, bizarre non-standard junctions, right through to shit parking standards. 

On a separate note if you're walking along and a cyclist comes towards you riding on a pavement, I find if you lean towards them at the last minute... it really shits them up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

The only fair way is to tax by milage at the pump / charger as that can also factor in emissions to the tax, surely a 'voice of reason' would have to concur.

Yes that suggestion has a lot of merit. 
But has been pointed out previously when this has been raised this is impractical due to the way duty on fuel is calculated. Something to do with the arrangements with the UK- I don’t know or understand the exact details.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes that suggestion has a lot of merit. 
But has been pointed out previously when this has been raised this is impractical due to the way duty on fuel is calculated. Something to do with the arrangements with the UK- I don’t know or understand the exact details.

Perhaps charge EVs that way and retain the current way for internal combustion vehicles. 

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

We just have really poor road standards on the island. All the way from basic maintenance, bizarre non-standard junctions, right through to shit parking standards. 

On a separate note if you're walking along and a cyclist comes towards you riding on a pavement, I find if you lean towards them at the last minute... it really shits them up. 

I'm a cyclist. I never cycle on footpaths, ever. However I do see kids cycling in footpaths. Some, admittedly,  because they are arses, but some kids do it cos it's it's only way to be safe. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm a cyclist. I never cycle on footpaths, ever. However I do see kids cycling in footpaths. Some, admittedly,  because they are arses, but some kids do it cos it's it's only way to be safe. 

That's fair for a kid and I would happily step aside for a child to cycle along. 

It's the hairy arsed 20 stone fuckers that come barrelling along Strand Street that are the issue.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Two-lane said:

These crossings are officially know as "pedestrian courtesy crossings". Not many people know that...

Traffic is legally not required to stop at these crossings.

In the second safety audit there are responses from the designers about individual problems -

"DESIGNER RESPONSE:

To provide all facilities as zebra crossings would remove any potential ambiguity (but we think
the ambiguity has been reduced by the modifications) but would lead to inordinate stopping and
starting of vehicles within the scheme."

Which to me implies they expect that sometimes traffic will NOT stop at pedestrian courtesy crossings. I wonder if pedestrians, in particular children, are aware of that.

So, whilst driving on the prom., to prevent inordinate stopping and starting of vehicles, don't stop for pedestrians on these crossings.

I assume the term “zebra style crossing “ in the audit means that legally they are not zebra crossings?. 58449BF2-5E97-466A-8349-966D94B7DEC7.thumb.jpeg.83dd3e1f81d5360cbfb5df7b354e6e9b.jpeg

Edited by ellanvannin2010