Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I wonder if the term “zebra style crossing “ in the audit means that legally they are not zebra crossings?

No, they are not zebra crossings. There is no legal requirement for traffic to stop.

Which is why I am annoyed with Crookall, in a Tynwald session, quoting the Highway Code and Green Cross Code. The Green Cross Code tells children to preferentially use zebra, pelican etc. crossings but he does not tell children that there are no such crossings on the prom.

• Like 2

And while I am here and in a bad mood, I do not think either of the safety audits expressly comments on the lack of illumination of the Granite Gateway Monoliths.

So, it's pouring rain, pitch black, in the middle of winter, and there are dark grey lumps of granite stuck right in the middle of the road. No reflective surfaces and bugger-all lighting.

But pedestrians can "see the artwork".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's fair, so long as the ignorant gitswho drive and park on the pavements expecting pedestrians to move aside, go up one way streets, jump through lights etc shouldecting pedestrians to move aside, go up one way streets, jump through lights etc should have their vehicles scrapped as well.!!!

Totally agree, also couples who insist on holding hands whilst walking taking up whole width of pavement & expecting others to move need scrapping as well 😂

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

Totally agree, also couples who insist on holding hands whilst walking taking up whole width of pavement & expecting others to move need scrapping as well 😂

Prams too. Get them crushed....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I assume the term “zebra style crossing “ in the audit means that legally they are not zebra crossings?. 58449BF2-5E97-466A-8349-966D94B7DEC7.thumb.jpeg.83dd3e1f81d5360cbfb5df7b354e6e9b.jpeg

What a response! At least we won't endanger the visually impaired, but have no idea how the rest of the pedestrian world will fare. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What about them people with chihuahuas and 20ft extending leads. Should they be crushed........the leads and owners and not the chihuahuas of course

I hate those bloody leads!  The owner thinks their dog is "under control", but it isn't, it is just attaching a 20ft string of entanglement to the lack of control.  It is like putting a rope on a firework and saying it is under control. 

When one is invented that pulls the dog back (without harm to the dog), then I will have one.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

At least we won't endanger the visually impaired,

Not quite. As there are no official crossings, there will be no flush dropped kerbs. Therefore the only way a visually impaired person can cross the prom. is to knowingly enter the carriageway via an un-dropped kerb.

Maybe one day you will come across a blind person walking up and down the prom. desperately trying to find somewhere to cross.

4 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Genuine question TVOR

You come across as a retired age person who is not happy with modern " Woke" type attitudes in the main and , fair play I am close to that myself BUT....

What is with your Rabid Hatred of Bicyclists? 

I find them mostly aggressive road rage assholes but keep it to myself. 

What's your story? Did you have a really bad personal experience or something?

I actually regard myself as someone who is pretty liberal.

I don’t have a “Rabid hatred “ of cyclists, I’ve not had one particular bad experience just many small and medium ones. It’s more their their sense of entitlement.

In the interests of reconciliation between other road users and cyclists could I perhaps suggest the following,  although I doubt it will never happen but is food for thought. Although very sketchy the principle could be adopted in the short term and the detail worked out later:-

A responsible group of cyclists form an organisation/ charity with a suitable name/ acronym (just for example Responsible Cyclists of Mann, RCM)

They charge a subscription fee which includes group insurance, some sort of unique identifier which they attach to their bicycle ( which would assist for any insurance purposes etc) and a voluntary payment to the IOM Treasury in lieu of any Road Tax ( or whatever you want to call it)

They also would subscribe to a code of conduct, which for example would not allow    going through red lights, holding up traffic by riding in three abreast etc.

There can’t be anything in there that a responsible cyclist would object to. As I say these are only sketchy ideas but they could be refined by consultation.

Local businesses could offer incentives to members of such an organisation (10 pence of a cup of coffee by showing your membership card etc)

As a motorist I would be more than happy to give a cheery wave to any cyclist displaying the identifying mark described above knowing that they had signed up to the code of conduct and recognised their responsibilities.

Win win situation 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Not quite. As there are no official crossings, there will be no flush dropped kerbs. Therefore the only way a visually impaired person can cross the prom. is to knowingly enter the carriageway via an un-dropped kerb.

Maybe one day you will come across a blind person walking up and down the prom. desperately trying to find somewhere to cross.

What are they doing going out anyway?  They should be at home learning braille while the rest of the population plays Death Race 2000. (Sarcasm, please note)

Simply, keep it simple for everyone.  A crossing should be obvious to everyone using the road, drivers, pedestrians of whatever impairment, even the stupid.  Whereas we have the most complex set up that requires a manual to navigate.

I see a business opportunity for an app. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What are they doing going out anyway?  They should be at home learning braille while the rest of the population plays Death Race 2000. (Sarcasm, please note)

Simply, keep it simple for everyone.  A crossing should be obvious to everyone using the road, drivers, pedestrians of whatever impairment, even the stupid.  Whereas we have the most complex set up that requires a manual to navigate.

I see a business opportunity for an app. 

Lessons have not been learned. 

5efec4348dc0c.jpg

55 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I actually regard myself as someone who is pretty liberal.

I don’t have a “Rabid hatred “ of cyclists, I’ve not had one particular bad experience just many small and medium ones. It’s more their their sense of entitlement.

In the interests of reconciliation between other road users and cyclists could I perhaps suggest the following,  although I doubt it will never happen but is food for thought. Although very sketchy the principle could be adopted in the short term and the detail worked out later:-

A responsible group of cyclists form an organisation/ charity with a suitable name/ acronym (just for example Responsible Cyclists of Mann, RCM)

They charge a subscription fee which includes group insurance, some sort of unique identifier which they attach to their bicycle ( which would assist for any insurance purposes etc) and a voluntary payment to the IOM Treasury in lieu of any Road Tax ( or whatever you want to call it)

They also would subscribe to a code of conduct, which for example would not allow    going through red lights, holding up traffic by riding in three abreast etc.

There can’t be anything in there that a responsible cyclist would object to. As I say these are only sketchy ideas but they could be refined by consultation.

Local businesses could offer incentives to members of such an organisation (10 pence of a cup of coffee by showing your membership card etc)

As a motorist I would be more than happy to give a cheery wave to any cyclist displaying the identifying mark described above knowing that they had signed up to the code of conduct and recognised their responsibilities.

Win win situation 

Waste of space post of the decade.

sensible cyclists don’t ride through red lights, have adequate insurance. It is the Mark Cavendish wannabes that cause the problems

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Just to add:

The inquest into that case basically said to the DOI " sort your shit out".

Though oddly enough, despite containing those recommendations, the report of the inquest never appeared on the Judgments page.  If the BBC hadn't had a reporter there we would never have known about it at all, given that it had been reported you would have thought the Courts administration would be only too keen to make sure the findings were accurately available.  Funny that.

• Like 1