Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But there are dropped kerbs and tactile paving at 1000's of junctions that are not crossings.

The way I read the information  the blister paving shown on the picture is used specifically to mark crossing points.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/918353/tactile-paving-surfaces.pdf

D5C0301F-945C-4FB9-836E-268622A00CA9.thumb.jpeg.1c5664df7e7052099ff112d61bf7cbd8.jpeg

D69BEEEC-FEA3-4221-875F-6608182D7E8C.jpeg

28 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The way I read the information  the blister paving shown on the picture is used specifically to mark crossing points.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/918353/tactile-paving-surfaces.pdf

D5C0301F-945C-4FB9-836E-268622A00CA9.thumb.jpeg.1c5664df7e7052099ff112d61bf7cbd8.jpeg

D69BEEEC-FEA3-4221-875F-6608182D7E8C.jpeg

A crossing point is not the same as a crossing. A crossing point can be at any junction. Just go along the terrace and you will see what I mean

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Two-lane said:

My recollection of the cycle accident is:
1. The DoI designers identified the crossing as dangerous
2. They included in the design a gate or chicane to eliminate the danger
3. The gate/chicane was not built, but no temporary barrier was placed there
4. Someone was killed

1. The DoI designers had the road painted and seemed pretty pleased with themselves
2. Loads of people said "that's really stupid, someone will get killed"
3. (some time passed, less than a year maybe)
4. Someone was killed

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

1. The DoI designers had the road painted and seemed pretty pleased with themselves
2. Loads of people said "that's really stupid, someone will get killed"
3. (some time passed, less than a year maybe)
4. Someone was killed

They tried to excuse the clusterf11k  in the court case by saying they could not put in a proper Zebra crossing because the speed limit in that area was 40 mph.

Please tell me why they could not have extended the 30 at the Ballacraine traffic lights to past this crossing on one of the island's most popular cycleways?

Come on DOI bods, Why could you not do that?

It would likely have saved a life.

Go on Mr Robinson, tell us why you could not extend a speed limit a few hundred yards?.................

35 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

They tried to excuse the clusterf11k  in the court case by saying they could not put in a proper Zebra crossing because the speed limit in that area was 40 mph.

Please tell me why they could not have extended the 30 at the Ballacraine traffic lights to past this crossing on one of the island's most popular cycleways?

Come on DOI bods, Why could you not do that?

It would likely have saved a life.

Go on Mr Robinson, tell us why you could not extend a speed limit a few hundred yards?.................

Maybe he doesn't have as much hindsight as you have. 

• Sad 1

Oh, that would be a bit much? There is an argument that if we have two cars, we have to pay road tax on each and then maybe, we should pay walk tax on each pair of shoes?

However, that would be admim heavy, so perhaps your shoes should be covered by 'General Taxation'???

Lovely bit on IOMNP Facebook page, about Scotland using Road marking paint which isn’t eco friendly, with the supposition that this island would follow suit. I’m sure the eco loons would be frothing at the mouth in indignation. I’ll be surprised if Moorehouse hasn’t got a question prepared?