Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

22 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

There were some clowns with a video camera stood in the middle of traffic on the Broadway Rounrel tonight. 

Not sure what it was all about but dangerous enough.

It wasn't Amadeus getting brave was it? 😂

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The big mistake they made was factoring in the horse trams to start with. It’s been a colossal waste of money and hardship for traders affected by the elongated work times it’s caused. It’s said to have cost £1.85 million so that we can provide a loss making service to a load of old grannies and social misfits for the next 50 years. We might as well have bought a load of new buses and just set fire to them it would have the same net effect on public finances. The one chance we had to take this obsolete traffic obstruction off the prom and we didn’t take it. And now we want to expand it to the sea terminal! 

I thought I had heard everything , but Tim Crookall who was the Mannin Line guest today  ,said they could not operate the horse trams without getting approval from the Off Island railways inspector , 

we have successfully operated Horse trams for over 130 years , how come they now need to be inspected  as if they are part of HS2 or the Pendilino tilting train ,time the DOI had a dose of reality , and they don't even use motorised horses  or travel at more then 5 miles per hour   , only spent  half a million pound computerised  points signals and lights  this Island has gone mad ,and no wonder there is no money for essentials any more !

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I thought I had heard everything , but Tim Crookall who was the Mannin Line guest today  ,said they could not operate the horse trams without getting approval from the Off Island railways inspector , 

we have successfully operated Horse trams for over 130 years , how come they now need to be inspected  as if they are part of HS2 or the Pendilino tilting train ,time the DOI had a dose of reality , and they don't even use motorised horses  or travel at more then 5 miles per hour   , only spent  half a million pound computerised  points signals and lights  this Island has gone mad ,and no wonder there is no money for essentials any more !

Would this be the same sort of Off-Island Railways Inspector who isn't needed to investigate runaway mountain trams? Or am I getting confused?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

Yes it does sound silly I agree. Maybe it's an insurance requirement.

10 hours ago, Omobono said:

Technically it's because there's a change to the layout.  The existing one would have been covered by a grandfather clause, because it had worked like that for over 100 years, but altering it substantially would have required a fresh assessment.  Of course anyone who knew anything about railways would have realised this, but changing things for the sake of change is basically all the DoI management are interested in.

As I keep pointing out, for all their invoking of 'shared space' they clearly don't understand the concept in the slightest.   The horse trams were one of the things that made the Prom work in that way originally (as did the parking across the lines in the Winter).  Their presence meant that road users were more cautious and considerate.  Instead the DoI decided to move them from where they were to speed up traffic and then has to do all sorts of things to slow the traffic down again. 

But to them the important thing is to change things to justify spending money and their inflated positions.  Whether the changes work or not is irrelevant to them - indeed it may be an advantage as it gives the opportunity for more spending and self-promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the ‘pleasure’ of coming down Castle Drive to Central Prom the other day.

There was a car in the parking space to the right, at the junction.  It may have been a brick wall.  You cannot see a thing until you are out in the flow of traffic.  What ever happened to visibility specifications at junctions?  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Would this be the same sort of Off-Island Railways Inspector who isn't needed to investigate runaway mountain trams? Or am I getting confused?

The Off-Island Railways Inspector will set the requirement to spend a million pounds on a computer-controlled traffic light and points system - justification for new, expensive, toys are just what Longworth wants.

However if there is an accident involving the railway, I doubt that the Rail Accident Investigation Branch will be anywhere near any investigation.

• Like 2

Surely the Government could self insure the risk associated with rail accidents?

The  Off-Island Inspector could sure be used in an advisory capacity for best practice across, but to spend £1m on a signalling system on his say so and insurance reasons is ludicrous.

Single line working just using a baton has worked for the steam railways for nearly a century and a half.

The issue is probably they want to run electric trams on the line as well as horse trams, but just haven't fessed up that's the plan yet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Surely the Government could self insure the risk associated with rail accidents?

The  Off-Island Inspector could sure be used in an advisory capacity for best practice across, but to spend £1m on a signalling system on his say so and insurance reasons is ludicrous.

Single line working just using a baton has worked for the steam railways for nearly a century and a half.

The issue is probably they want to run electric trams on the line as well as horse trams, but just haven't fessed up that's the plan yet.

I thought we'd already factored in an all singing and dancing points and signal system?

• Like 1