Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Did I also decipher they paid a shedload of money for 'interlace' track that now won't be used?

These documents are tough to assimilate. This comment stood out:

"As far as I am aware the requirement to be no more than 42mm is not in any standard, and was not mentioned, even
when Ian ordered 4 sets of points for himself, in advance of the Promenade Contract."

Which to me implies Longworth ordered 4 sets of points at 65mm groove - and now cannot be used.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

For me it just highlights the sheer ineptitude of the whole management. 

Did I also decipher they paid a shedload of money for 'interlace' track that now won't be used?

Its time Mr Longtail was hauled in over  the coals   for this major cock up and waste of money , apparently he could  not not accept or be  be told there would be obvious  problems  with this system  and the   interlace track has carried on regardless ,and for whatever reason Nick Black didn't have the balls to stand up against him ,

this is our money these clowns are  burning down there , the drains are still blocked  along several parts of the prom   and if we have a hot summer  I wonder if there is any expansion  joints in the welded rails  to allow them to move without braking up the road surface again 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

The bit that got me is its clear having MEA running on the tracks has always been on the agenda . Again as lots of us said the heavier rails , which apparently were 'cheap' were actually part of the whole corrupt process . Having the MEA running on the prom was never in any plans or suggestions I read. Wonder is this also why we have a bigger gap between rails ? . I would say the trams look wider so maybe weve been had all along. Twats ! 

What are the Manx Electricity Authority going to run on the horse tram track?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I wonder if there is any expansion  joints in the welded rails  to allow them to move without braking up the road surface again 

Apparently , as part of the snagging , they have to grind out a channel along both sides of the both sets of rails !!! Good luck to the poor guys having to do that ! 

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

This one might as well have been headed up “Dear Ian, here’s about 20 reasons why you’re a f**king bell-end”

servlets.getImg?ref=1266081&bin=Y&auth=0

2012 !!! First told it was likely not suitable . A clown surrounded by clowns . He has some hold on that department or as suggested he's a bully and thats how he gets his way . Mindblowing . Never mind , the tax payers will just pick up the shortfall..again ... 

• Like 1

So the deal is: Most of the problems stem from Longworth wanting to run electric trams down the horse tram track, and cross traffic lanes halfway down the prom.
Not only is the rail type for horse trams different to MER type rail, but the horse trams will need new sets of (non-historical) wheels to match the MER rail.
Because the tram tracks now cross traffic lanes they need computer controlled traffic lights and god-knows what else to make this safe (presumably this is not necessary with the existing crossing near The Terminus because of grandfather rights).

Here are two comments from these documents:

From Alistair Burroughs
>
Subject: RE: Douglas Promenade ‐ Information Required
Dear Ian,
The brief for BSA was for the horse tram to be replaced on a like for like basis to a new alignment, and that there
should be no scope creep.

And this one from Longworth
from IL
Subject: RE: Douglas Promenade ‐ Information Required
Dear Alistair
My understanding was that the brief for the design of the promenade was that for whatever was built was future proofed so that it could operate the horse tram, MER and future light rail.

So all this has come about because Longworth and other members of the DoI elite think that it is sensible to run a light railway system from The Terminus to the War Memorial.

Unbelievable. A bunch of kids playing with toy train sets. And my guess is that you will not find one MHK criticising anyone involved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Let us hope that one or two of the MHKs who frequent these boards are drawn to this information.

They might be drawn to it , but then duck down below the parapet even quicker . Only 6 weeks to get the trams up and running and with these disclosers its really not happening is it. Any bets on 4 years and counting ?!   

Just now, Happier diner said:

Unimogs !n Although we will be glad of them today.

Ill bet they wish they had a few more of them in Wales and Cornwall.

Yes....but will the Discovery fleet be out overseeing the work in these non-other-than-4wd-accessible locations? 😉