Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Apparently , as part of the snagging , they have to grind out a channel along both sides of the both sets of rails !!! Good luck to the poor guys having to do that ! 

unless there are the equivalent of fish plates or some expanding mechanism built into the rails  the surrounding  concrete and road surface   will fail , then the water and frost gets in and  we have a manx roads scenario again 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

unless there are the equivalent of fish plates or some expanding mechanism built into the rails  the surrounding  concrete and road surface   will fail , then the water and frost gets in and  we have a manx roads scenario again 

The concrete has already failed, the cracking is from the expansion of the rails the first summer after they were put down. 

I know a guy through work who was quite a senior person is building the Birmingham tram system (early stages of it) and he was telling me that it's a basic thing to put some kind of rubber compound either side of the rails to accommodate the expansion and he was dumbfounded as to why it wasn't done here. 

We haven't had a really hot summer since they started the work (I'm thinking summer of 2018) and when we do then it could get interesting.

Edited by 0bserver

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The concrete has already failed, the cracking is from the expansion of the rails the first summer after they were put down. 

I know a guy through work who was quite a senior person is building the Birmingham tram system (early stages of it) and he was telling me that it's a basic thing to put some kind of rubber compound either side of the rails to accommodate the expansion and he was dumbfounded as to why it wasn't done here. 

We haven't had a really hot summer since they started the work (I'm thinking summer of 2018) and when we do then it could get interesting.

download (35).jpeg

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Perhaps these are the "cuts in the rails" that this week Daphne claims have had to be installed...?

52 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I agree but only saying what there planning. I think the idea is to put some sort of flexible sealant in the ground out channels . Nothing in the 350 plus snagging lists that I could see regarding the hundreds of cracks in the red concrete. Pretty sure they dont know how to sort it. Only way in my view is to dig it up and relay it. They wont want to do that though as the disruption and time will be excessive . Oh and the cost ! 

Edited by Numbnuts

18 hours ago, 0bserver said:

This was mentioned in the independent report that was prepared early on when they were laying the tracks 

• Thanks 1

I was on one of my rare trips to Douglas today and there were pools of water everywhere it simply was not draining away.   I know it was snowing at the time but even so the water that was collecting everywhere was going nowhere.   This is not a good job by any means , and without the lights the flow of traffic was pitifully slow.   

On 2/19/2022 at 6:42 PM, hissingsid said:

I was on one of my rare trips to Douglas today and there were pools of water everywhere it simply was not draining away.   I know it was snowing at the time but even so the water that was collecting everywhere was going nowhere.   This is not a good job by any means , and without the lights the flow of traffic was pitifully slow.   

the levels  and cambers   on the old promenade were calculated by a plank of wood and a spirit level , it appears the new generation think water will run up hill , or does not pool in a hollow , wait until summer and areas of parking have to be suspended , as you cant unblock the small drain holes in the edge of the curb   or jet wash out with vehicles being in the location , 

you couldn't make this up , but lessons were learned about kerb edge  drainage on Richmond hill years ago wern't  they?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DOI seem to be digging everywhere & causing massive traffic queues, went to hospital today & traffic lights at end ballafletcher road by roundabout, massive tailbacks but not one person working on anything!!

Opposite grandstand road being dip up & tarmac on again massive tailbacks, on coast road just before Garwick again traffic lights, cones but couldn’t see any workmen? 
Get one job done first FFS!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

DOI seem to be digging everywhere & causing massive traffic queues, went to hospital today & traffic lights at end ballafletcher road by roundabout, massive tailbacks but not one person working on anything!!

Opposite grandstand road being dip up & tarmac on again massive tailbacks, on coast road just before Garwick again traffic lights, cones but couldn’t see any workmen? 
Get one job done first FFS!

Massive Tailbacks. Blimey you are as Manx as the hill. 5 mins max. A massive tailback is 5 miles+, 3 hours.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1