Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Minorca Hill in Laxey is currently closed and fenced off at the bottom by the new bridge and has been for some time. Not a soul there on site this morning.

It's all part of the big plan, to stop anyone using Minorca Hill as a longtail run while the Mountain Road is closed.

4 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Why was Douglas rd from KM closed this morning? The BMW behind us ignored the signs and just carried on. Was there something we didn't know?

I might be wrong but I thought the road was closed all week around Glen Helen area for line painting or something like that.

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Minorca Hill in Laxey is currently closed and fenced off at the bottom by the new bridge and has been for some time. Not a soul there on site this morning.

Glen Road by football pitch is supposed to closed this week too, perhaps they are all there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I might be wrong but I thought the road was closed all week around Glen Helen area for line painting or something like that.

Glen Road by football pitch is supposed to closed this week too, perhaps they are all there.

Glen Helen road is shut from ballig bridge , Glen road was open this morning.

19 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

They are up there resurfacing today, doing the road in halves so it remains passable

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

you couldn't make this up , but lessons were learned about kerb edge  drainage on Richmond hill years ago wern't  they?

Those 12 weeks of traffic lights on Richmond Hill last summer have made exactly zero difference. 

Water still runs across the road after even light rain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Those 12 weeks of traffic lights on Richmond Hill last summer have made exactly zero difference. 

I came down it during a downpour last week and it was especially bad.

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It always will if you think about it. That's how road drainage works. Water follows a fall line until it reaches the edge. The only way to ease this would be to have gullies intersecting the fall and running across the road (Something I don't believe I have ever seen) or completely redesign the profile of the road.

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It always will if you think about it. That's how road drainage works. Water follows a fall line until it reaches the edge. The only way to ease this would be to have gullies intersecting the fall and running across the road (Something I don't believe I have ever seen) or completely redesign the profile of the road.

They did redesign the profile of the road, that is the problem 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's water coming off the hill and flowing over the road that seems to be the problem. As you say there will always be some water on the road. But it shouldn't be coming out of the drains at the top and flowing down. 

• Like 1

The problem appears to always be DoI’s tendency to commence more works than they are able to manage or resource, poor on-site management of works and most alarmingly, their persistent unwillingness to properly project plan before embarking on a piece of work. They have a tendency to look down their noses at contractors, but if they were contractors themselves, they would have been out of business years ago. 

• Like 4