Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We tend to start with the glitter - then smear it all with turd....

When (if) the horse trams start running, that nice pink concrete is going to get smeared with a layer of processed horse food. Probably some chemical property will result in unsightly stains - or maybe even cause the concrete to crack....

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

When (if) the horse trams start running, that nice pink concrete is going to get smeared with a layer of processed horse food. Probably some chemical property will result in unsightly stains - or maybe even cause the concrete to crack....

No shit sherlock 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

Douglas Borough Council is the first local authority across the UK to take delivery of the equipment since the manufacturer was recognised in the Chartered Institution for Wastes Management

Bit like the Chewing Gum Machine.

Despite my many objections to much of what has happened on the prom, I think the blue and yellow  lighting is great at this time. 

🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emesde said:

Despite my many objections to much of what has happened on the prom, I think the blue and yellow  lighting is great at this time. 

🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

I agree but it's the wrong blue and the wrong yellow 

Why oh why do they do such ridiculous things. 

Driving down Victoria St I noticed about two thirds of the way down a road sign saying 30 mph, end of 20 zone.

50 yards further was a 

big sign saying Promenade 20 zone

So Victoria Street in the middle of town has 2 different speed limits depending which end of the road you are on. I'm sure someone in the DOI  will be able to find a reason for this. It would be good to hear it as it seems to make no sense. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, emesde said:

Why oh why do they do such ridiculous things. 

Driving down Victoria St I noticed about two thirds of the way down a road sign saying 30 mph, end of 20 zone.

50 yards further was a 

big sign saying Promenade 20 zone

So Victoria Street in the middle of town has 2 different speed limits depending which end of the road you are on. I'm sure someone in the DOI  will be able to find a reason for this. It would be good to hear it as it seems to make no sense. 

I have a car where the speed limit comes up on the  dash screen , its amazing how many areas on the isle of Man where this differs from the DOI version for example St Johns to Peel going west is still 20 MPH , approach to Quarter bridge from the west 30 MPH yet the roadsigns say 40 MPH  

can anyone tell me who is responsible tor providing the information to the Sat nav in the vehicles ,  for some reason 

I don't experience this problem when I drive in the UK or Europe 

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I have a car where the speed limit comes up on the  dash screen , its amazing how many areas on the isle of Man where this differs from the DOI version for example St Johns to Peel going west is still 20 MPH , approach to Quarter bridge from the west 30 MPH yet the roadsigns say 40 MPH  

can anyone tell me who is responsible tor providing the information to the Sat nav in the vehicles ,  for some reason 

I asked that question to DOI a year ago and the answer from memory is along the lines of 

We don't have a proper system for updating data that sat nav's use.

Some info is manually uploaded onto the new Roadwatch site which then goes to the sat navs but as anyone who has ever looked at Roadwatch will know its not accurate.

17 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Some info is manually uploaded onto the new Roadwatch site which then goes to the sat navs but as anyone who has ever looked at Roadwatch will know its not accurate

"ISA to become mandatory in the EU for new vehicles in July 2022"

As the IoM is outside the EU, I suppose up-to-date maps are irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

21 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I asked that question to DOI a year ago and the answer from memory is along the lines of 

We don't have a proper system for updating data that sat nav's use.

Some info is manually uploaded onto the new Roadwatch site which then goes to the sat navs but as anyone who has ever looked at Roadwatch will know its not accurate.

Most cars now ‘read’ the speed limit sign itself