Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 minute ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Where else can they park? 

Cones were there for a reason not to be moved just because some lardarse can't be bothered walking any distance.

The cones I refer to were in and around the fenced areas on the prom

I think servlets are a unique use, so only seem to work for a particular person on a particular device.  So to look up FoI requests you need to search for them yourself via:

https://services.gov.im/freedom-of-information/search

I  think that this refers to a request with ID 924153:
Title    Douglas Promenade Scheme extras bills
Public Authority    Department of Infrastructure
Outcome    All information sent
Outcome Date    27/08/2019

We write further to your request which was received on 13 August 2019, we have
numbered the parts of your request for ease of reading:

1. Please provide a detailed breakdown of the extras bills/extra costs incurred on the Douglas Promenade Scheme from the inception of the scheme to today's date (13.08.19).
2. Please provide a breakdown by type of cost and the date incurred, please also include the reason for each extra cost.
3. Please provide a breakdown of all future extra costs advised to the Department and please break them down as per the above criteria.
4. Please state if there is a limit on extras costs and who (by job title) signs off on the costs.

The answers to your questions are as follows:
1. Presently there are no extra costs incurred on Douglas Promenade construction. The current financial report indicates that the scheme is on target to be delivered within the Tynwald approved budget.

2. Presently there are no extra costs incurred on Douglas Promenade construction.

3. The Department is aware of some additional water main requirements for Manx Utilities that will be included in the scheme. At this stage the final design and costings have not been finalised so the Department is unable to advise of the potential cost. The additional costs will be borne by Manx Utilities and are not included within the Tynwald approved costs.

4. There is no limit on extra costs. Any extra costs are signed off by the Project Manager in accordance with the contract and his authorised financial delegation. Where costs are above the Project Managers limits any additional costs will be signed off by other Department officers with appropriate delegated financial authority, namely Construction Manager, Director of Highway Services or Chief Executive.

It's not just the open cheque book that point 4 reveals, it's the attitude to project management on a project, where it has already been admitted there have been problems, but no one has done any assessment of what the extra cost will be.  You just keep on spending the budget till it runs out.  And ask for more money.  And repeat.

• Like 2

I thought it would be interesting to see how they are progressing, overall, against the revised schedule of works, issued in July.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/auldyn-phasing-plan-scale-rev-c-may-update.pdf

These were revised schedules, issued after Harmer and Co admitted that they were already 8-10 weeks behind the original timeline, and were supposed to get them back on track.

All those of who use the Promenade regularly already know, no sections are actually finished, apart from the tramlines from Strathallan Crescent to Palace Hotel.

According to the above plans, which were only actually added to the website two months ago, the tramlines should now be done (9/9/19) past the Empress, and the seaside from Strathallan to the Queens Hotel should be completed (19/9/19) and open. The whole section from Jubilee Clock to Granville Street (including the new granite pavements) should be complete by the end of October, so the have only about 22 working days left there.  

Like most of us on here, I'm not an engineer, but common sense tells me that they are probably 6-8 weeks behind the revised schedule, again! That means they are working at around 50% of the required pace.

They are now over 50% into the original contract duration of 100 weeks. There is no way, this is going to be achieved. TT 2022 is a more realistic target; an over-run of twenty months.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

I thought it would be interesting to see how they are progressing, overall, against the revised schedule of works, issued in July.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/auldyn-phasing-plan-scale-rev-c-may-update.pdf

These were revised schedules, issued after Harmer and Co admitted that they were already 8-10 weeks behind the original timeline, and were supposed to get them back on track.

All those of who use the Promenade regularly already know, no sections are actually finished, apart from the tramlines from Strathallan Crescent to Palace Hotel.

According to the above plans, which were only actually added to the website two months ago, the tramlines should now be done (9/9/19) past the Empress, and the seaside from Strathallan to the Queens Hotel should be completed (19/9/19) and open. The whole section from Jubilee Clock to Granville Street (including the new granite pavements) should be complete by the end of October, so the have only about 22 working days left there.  

Like most of us on here, I'm not an engineer, but common sense tells me that they are probably 6-8 weeks behind the revised schedule, again! That means they are working at around 50% of the required pace.

They are now over 50% into the original contract duration of 100 weeks. There is no way, this is going to be achieved. TT 2022 is a more realistic target; an over-run of twenty months.

I agree and what's more laying  granite will seriously slow the job down..Anyone remember strand street and castle street !! No I'm thinking they will be a year overrun just gauging progress up to now .anyone surprised ?? I'm not !

The "full depth excavation"....?

"The Department's experience and expertise in delivering projects of this magnitude"....?

In both cases, Neither. Nil. Nothing.

Where are all these voids that we were warned about as the threat-to-life justification for the job?

This will run on well over 2 years and more importantly, well over budget, with the afore-posted Clause 4 seeing the cheques signed ad infinitum.