Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

there will be places on the prom that will have to be dug up again as there is tarmac and cement blocking some of the surface water drains , unless they are  cleared then there will always be a problem down there 

you have to ask yourself where was the supervision or an old fashioned Clerk of Works  to make sure things were done properly another big failing of the whole scheme  that needs to be investigated 

Re the drains , apparently they have been working along the length of the prom in the last week with camera's etc to identify the issues with the drains . Mind blowing incompetence and yes where was the supervision , clerk of the works type of oversight , on this major contract. I believe , for whatever reason , that government dont have clerk of the works anymore . God knows what the mindset around that decision .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Re the drains , apparently they have been working along the length of the prom in the last week with camera's etc to identify the issues with the drains . Mind blowing incompetence and yes where was the supervision , clerk of the works type of oversight , on this major contract. I believe , for whatever reason , that government dont have clerk of the works anymore . God knows what the mindset around that decision .

No one has Clerk of the works anymore. But they do have construction supervisors and it is their duty to perform what was previously referred to the duty of the Clerk of works. That duty is part of the contract. Seems they just didn't do it very well.

Douglas Council have discussed pulling this years Carnival as there is no ostensible economicv benefit. They go on to say that traders get no significant benefit, indeed there is evidence that road closures actually cause disruptions. No **** Sherlock.

You simply could not make this stuff up.

• Like 2

This absolute gem has appeared on FOI. 

It would seem nobody at DOI or the various other companies involved (Burroughs Stewart/Auldyn?) bothered to scope out the requirements to have 'legal' tram tracks... well not until they're over 3 years into a £25m project.... 

Screenshot_20220311-102955_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20220311-103015_OneDrive.jpg

Edited by 0bserver
  • Haha 3

That's a little gem isn't it?  For context the FoI request was:

image.png.1822a153298f423e23b990b207aef60a.png

Though according to the reply:

The Department of Infrastructure cannot find any reference to the Douglas Bay Horse Tramway reports by the Minister in the 8th February 2022 House of Keys sitting. Further to this, there were no reports written by the Railway Inspectorate that were provided to the Department.

The Railway Inspectorate did provide some email correspondence to the Department in relation to the point work, provided in Appendix 1.

Of course the fact that they'd only thought to contact the Railway Inspectorate four years into a project involving a transport system with rails is fairly telling.  As is the surprisingly restrained reply from the RI explaining obvious, commonsense reasons why you can't have wide grooves in the middle of a road.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 2:06 PM, ubbiali said:

Douglas Council have discussed pulling this years Carnival as there is no ostensible economicv benefit. They go on to say that traders get no significant benefit, indeed there is evidence that road closures actually cause disruptions. No **** Sherlock.

One wonders what conclusion they'll reach in respect of firework displays on Nov 5th..?

On 3/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Numbnuts said:

Throwing in an FOI to see what they've managed to block the drains with should be revealing. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 2:06 PM, ubbiali said:

I’m on the committee where we discussed this. It’s a balance between putting on a community event that brings people together and the efforts and risks involved. Closing the prom as was done in the past probably isn’t the best way to go. Instead, a smaller carnival, maybe only along the walkway from sea terminal to war memorial and with smaller or no vehicles, might be better and could combine the two things: community coming together and people still being able to drive into town and park there to go shopping.

Some in the chamber want a carnival no matter what, some, like me, want to have a more balanced view on things. The idea of a smaller carnival will be discussed again in committee in the near future. Let me know what you want or think. We don’t get enough public feedback on things like this. Here or email cllr.fschuengel@douglas.gov.im 

8 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I’m on the committee where we discussed this. It’s a balance between putting on a community event that brings people together and the efforts and risks involved. Closing the prom as was done in the past probably isn’t the best way to go. Instead, a smaller carnival, maybe only along the walkway from sea terminal to war memorial and with smaller or no vehicles, might be better and could combine the two things: community coming together and people still being able to drive into town and park there to go shopping.

Some in the chamber want a carnival no matter what, some, like me, want to have a more balanced view on things. The idea of a smaller carnival will be discussed again in committee in the near future. Let me know what you want or think. We don’t get enough public feedback on things like this. Here or email cllr.fschuengel@douglas.gov.im 

No thank you, we will stick to the anonymous moaning from the rafters

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Why not have the carnival early evening so any closures don't affect shoppers and people may even hang around and have a bit of food and drink before things start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4