Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Why not have the carnival early evening so any closures don't affect shoppers and people may even hang around and have a bit of food and drink before things start.

We haven't considered changing the timing. I will suggest that in committee, thank you. 

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Things have moved on anyway. Unless you have a load of transvestites doing the Samba it isn’t a proper carnival anymore.  

Or Rugby players dragging wenches out of the crowd for a night of debauchery , ahhhh those were the days 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Or Rugby players dragging wenches out of the crowd for a night of debauchery , ahhhh those were the days 😉

From memory it was usually transvestite rugby players breaking off their samba to do the abducting.  So all your bases covered really.

Also from memory it was always early evening so as to maximise the number of participants and spectators.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Not their job apparently! Traffic wardens job but they’re only about mainly in Douglas & during office hours 

It is absolutely their job. Parking on a double yellow line or obstruction of the highway are road traffic offences. The police have  duty to enforce the law. 

Are you getting confused with parking offences, e.g. disc zones etc. That is the DOI or local councils responsibility. 

DOI parking controllers can issue fixed penalties for some traffic violations as well as minor parking violations. Bit like I say the police have the primary responsibility. They choose not to bother. 

41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It is absolutely their job. Parking on a double yellow line or obstruction of the highway are road traffic offences. The police have  duty to enforce the law. 

Are you getting confused with parking offences, e.g. disc zones etc. That is the DOI or local councils responsibility. 

DOI parking controllers can issue fixed penalties for some traffic violations as well as minor parking violations. Bit like I say the police have the primary responsibility. They choose not to bother. 

My comments were meant as a joke! Of course it’s their job but they don’t think it is so don’t bother, in fact they park illegally themselves!

They should be having a blitz on all these ignorant git’s parking on pavements etc including the hospital!

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Banker said:

My comments were meant as a joke! Of course it’s their job but they don’t think it is so don’t bother, in fact they park illegally themselves!

They should be having a blitz on all these ignorant git’s parking on pavements etc including the hospital!

I knew you were being sarcastic, I was reinforcing the message.

The situation is that the police must prosecute if a vehicle is causing a dangerous obstruction. That of course is very subjective. However double yellow lines around junctions are there to make the junctions safe. By deduction then parking on them makes them unsafe. Not in the eyes of the boys in blue though. 

Edited by Happier diner
Speling eror

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I knew you were being sarcastic, I was reinforcing the message.

The situation is that the police must prosecute if a vehicle is causing a dangerous obstruction. That of course is very subjective. However double yellow lines around junctions are there to make the junctions safe. By deduction then parking on them makes them unsafe. Not in the eyes of the boys in blue though. 

That's a load of codswallop to start off with. The number of times plod has driven past cars double parked on the prom with nobody in the driver seat. Then there are the cars parked on corners/double yellow lines/bus stops. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Passing Time said:

That's a load of codswallop to start off with. The number of times plod has driven past cars double parked on the prom with nobody in the driver seat. Then there are the cars parked on corners/double yellow lines/bus stops. 

Thats exactly what I am saying. They don't do what they are obligated to do. Blinkers On. Get back to the station for T

• Like 1

Aren't the Police primarily obliged to act and investigate upon receipt of complaint in civil matters? Meaning that unless somebody actually complains directly to them about an issue they can effectively disregard it?

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Aren't the Police primarily obliged to act and investigate upon receipt of complaint in civil matters? Meaning that unless somebody actually complains directly to them about an issue they can effectively disregard it?

They tend to disregard most things that don't suit their mood

• Like 1