Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

(if that’s actually a zebra crossing as the legality of some of them are a bit hit and miss).

As has been pointed out on this very forum, none of the crossings comply with the requirements as set in the road-planner's design handbook (or whatever).

So it seems to me a bit worrying that the above photo shows a tactile area, which I assume is to let blind people know where a proper zebra crossing is. That seems to be about as sensible as painting purple celtic markings in the road in the vague hope that drivers will stop.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

As has been pointed out on this very forum, none of the crossings comply with the requirements as set in the road-planner's design handbook (or whatever).

So it seems to me a bit worrying that the above photo shows a tactile area, which I assume is to let blind people know where a proper zebra crossing is. That seems to be about as sensible as painting purple celtic markings in the road in the vague hope that drivers will stop.

It's to make sure the blind people get wet feet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s almost like the DOI wants to engineer in a constant reminder of what it’s like for someone to expensively p*** on your shoes as a taxpayer.

Yes. I was down there on Sunday. Puddles in the kerb at every crossing. I don't think the design has been thought through.

• Like 1

If I went for a bus and Black was driving I would be concerned. It would arrive late and probably in the wrong place; halfway into the journey the fare would triple and we would have to cough up the extra (we would be 50% into the journey and would, therefore be committed) and at no point would I be confident that the bus wouldn’t end up in a complete car crash. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

Yes. I was down there on Sunday. Puddles in the kerb at every crossing. I don't think the design has been thought through.

Am my comment on the blind might have seemed glib. It wasn't. It was meant to convey how poor it was that persons with limited sight would walk onto the knobbled flags, straight into a puddle. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, joebean said:

If I went for a bus and Black was driving I would be concerned. It would arrive late and probably in the wrong place; halfway into the journey the fare would triple and we would have to cough up the extra (we would be 50% into the journey and would, therefore be committed) and at no point would I be confident that the bus wouldn’t end up in a complete car crash. 

Black should not have been allowed (assuming he is) near any strand of DOI operations following his "departure". Be it roads, buses or rail, as an employee or otherwise. The man has been at least partly responsible for dragging the Island's infrastructure to what must surely be some sort of nadir.

He should have been sent packing with a "Don't darken our doors again" stamp on his forehead.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Its actually a tactile area to let blind people know where the swimming pool is. Confirmed by the lack of flumes in the above picture which will be installed in around 3 years time.

• Haha 1