Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

I'm reliably told that the latest efforts to cut out a channel next to the tram rails and fill it with the rubbery compound are likely to fail. 

My friend who is an engineer (has worked on building Birmingham tram network and the Second City Crossing line in Manchester) said it needs to also go under the rails as well... or at least some kind of cushioning material which they didn't do when they laid them. 

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

I'm reliably told that the latest efforts to cut out a channel next to the tram rails and fill it with the rubbery compound are likely to fail. 

My friend who is an engineer (has worked on building Birmingham tram network and the Second City Crossing line in Manchester) said it needs to also go under the rails as well... or at least some kind of cushioning material which they didn't do when they laid them. 

So, who is that down to? The consultants who advised on the plans and wrote the spec?

I've posted before that there must be an element of malicious compliance here.

Concrete worker "Here, are you sure these plans are right?"

Foreman "Do what they say"

Concrete worker "There's no expansion gap and they use the rails as shutters, the concrete will obviously crack"

Foreman "Hmm, that doesn't seem right, I'll raise it"

Architect "How dare you question me"

Foreman "OK workers, stick to the plan"

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

BSA

Six weeks ago I made a FoI request for the design brief that BSA were given. Still waiting - it is obviously a document that does not come easily to hand.

And, by the way, I doubt that concrete slab is there to support the weight of a mere horse tram. It is more likely it is there to support the weight of a battery powered light railway system.

Just after the rails were first installed, there was a photo in the press of a Steam/MER diesel on the rails - the driver was Ian Longworth, demonstrating his management skills of delegation (and the test run resulted in damaged concrete).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The traffic lights for work on new test centre are causing chaos with traffic backed up on Johnny Watterson lane at 8.05! Looks like no pavement continuation once complete which will be dangerous for the many walkers using the pavement in the area!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

The traffic lights for work on new test centre are causing chaos with traffic backed up on Johnny Watterson lane at 8.05! Looks like no pavement continuation once complete which will be dangerous for the many walkers using the pavement in the area!

Give them chance to get the coloured paints out to create a continuous pavement once the tarmac is laid 🙉

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Huge queues on the promenade too as the contractors were setting up to begin work and the traffic lights operating! 

Two of the main artery's blocked, you couldn't make it up! Can't they wait until after the 'big' rush is over?

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

There is no need for the whole road to be blocked there at all it’s just the DOI being dicks as usual. 

That is entirely true, they seem to be out of control, the planning that goes into their operation seems to be non existent and ignores the chaos that they cause! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That need to sort that mess on Ballafletcher Road out. I missed a blood clinic appointment last week as it took me about 40 mins to get from Douglas to the hospital. They need to sort those idiots out. There is no need for the whole road to be blocked there at all it’s just the DOI being dicks as usual. 

I can't see how they could possibly do the work they are doing without closing one lane.

However i agree they are making a shambles of traffic control. This morning - Queue from Onchan side all the way up JW's. Queue from Hospital side 1 car. People working and not giving JS. Pretending not to notice.  Also why can't they suspend work during rush minute, the road surface is fine. After 9am it all settles down.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It doesn’t unfortunately. It’s bad between 8 and 9, it’s then bad between 12 and 2 and it’s really bad when they all leave the hospital around 4 as it’s grid locked almost back to the hospital car park. 

Sounds like the need a smart tidal flow system instead of a very dumb "lets ignore the problem" system