Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Some light entertainment from 2019:

"A Department of Infrastructure spokesman confirmed that number 34 was wheeled the short distance across the tarmac onto the tracks at Strathallan to allow for testing of the new rails, which were bought from MerseyRail because of their capability to take both horse pulled and other forms of trams."
The photo shows the grooves cut in the tarmac. I was told that Longworth told the MER crew just to run it off the end of the MER rails in the general direction of the horse tram tracks. It seems it did not all go to plan, so I assume that eventually it was craned onto (and off) the rails - which explains why there is only one set of grooves.
If Emily Curphey is reading this, the problem is that tram wheels are not designed to be run on the flanges. Apart from the damage to the tarmac, there is the possibility that the wheel flanges will be damaged. I guess the the hire of a crane for a couple of hours is less expensive than replacing a set of diesel wheels, but not nearly so fun to be had.

"The space taken up by the newly relaid horse tram tracks on Douglas promenades is wider.
But transport chiefs insist this won’t reduce the width of the road, and the carriageway for traffic will actually be wider in places than it was before."

"There shouldn’t be a need for vehicles to move onto the red (sienna) tram corridor."

"The roadway is 3.25 metres wide on either side of tracks as a "running lane", allowing 1.8 metres for parked vehicles."

1.8 metres is less than the width of a Ford Focus, and doesn't take into account that I usually park a couple of feet from the kerb - the extra distance I have to walk to the pavement is my contribution to active travel.

https://www.farnhamherald.com/tindle-static/image/2021/12/21/06/87572445_87572138_IMG_3964.JPG?width=669&height=445&crop=669:445,smart&quality=75

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Some light entertainment from 2019:

"A Department of Infrastructure spokesman confirmed that number 34 was wheeled the short distance across the tarmac onto the tracks at Strathallan to allow for testing of the new rails, which were bought from MerseyRail because of their capability to take both horse pulled and other forms of trams."
The photo shows the grooves cut in the tarmac. I was told that Longworth told the MER crew just to run it off the end of the MER rails in the general direction of the horse tram tracks. It seems it did not all go to plan, so I assume that eventually it was craned onto (and off) the rails - which explains why there is only one set of grooves.
If Emily Curphey is reading this, the problem is that tram wheels are not designed to be run on the flanges. Apart from the damage to the tarmac, there is the possibility that the wheel flanges will be damaged. I guess the the hire of a crane for a couple of hours is less expensive than replacing a set of diesel wheels, but not nearly so fun to be had.

"The space taken up by the newly relaid horse tram tracks on Douglas promenades is wider.
But transport chiefs insist this won’t reduce the width of the road, and the carriageway for traffic will actually be wider in places than it was before."

"There shouldn’t be a need for vehicles to move onto the red (sienna) tram corridor."

"The roadway is 3.25 metres wide on either side of tracks as a "running lane", allowing 1.8 metres for parked vehicles."

1.8 metres is less than the width of a Ford Focus, and doesn't take into account that I usually park a couple of feet from the kerb - the extra distance I have to walk to the pavement is my contribution to active travel.

https://www.farnhamherald.com/tindle-static/image/2021/12/21/06/87572445_87572138_IMG_3964.JPG?width=669&height=445&crop=669:445,smart&quality=75

This post is in the wrong thread.

It should be in the "What's the Biggest Lie told by Government" thread.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It seems the 'traffic lanes' are below the minimum prescribed width just like the new highway layout at Pulrose Bridge/Peel Road. 

Of course they get away with it largely on the Prom as the extra width from the tracks. 

.....and the road going up to Foxdale on the bend, try to get two trucks side by side there.

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Then blame them not the groundworkers

I wasn't blaming the ground workers as such. However if they see a massive queue in one direction only, then surely they have the intelligence and common sense to raise the issue with their supervisors instead of just pretending its not happening. Yes I agree they are not to be held accountable for it though. Someone more senior should have the gumption to actually monitor the situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I wasn't blaming the ground workers as such. However if they see a massive queue in one direction only, then surely they have the intelligence and common sense to raise the issue with their supervisors instead of just pretending its not happening. Yes I agree they are not to be held accountable for it though. Someone more senior should have the gumption to actually monitor the situation.

See Teapot's explanation on the previous page:

12 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I've posted before that there must be an element of malicious compliance here.

Concrete worker "Here, are you sure these plans are right?"

Foreman "Do what they say"

Concrete worker "There's no expansion gap and they use the rails as shutters, the concrete will obviously crack"

Foreman "Hmm, that doesn't seem right, I'll raise it"

Architect "How dare you question me"

Foreman "OK workers, stick to the plan"

I'm not even sure I'd call it malicious.  There must be a limit to the number of times you will risk getting your ear chewed off for being in the right.  And if you're working for a contractor you don't have the job security of those directly employed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

See Teapot's explanation on the previous page:

I'm not even sure I'd call it malicious.  There must be a limit to the number of times you will risk getting your ear chewed off for being in the right.  And if you're working for a contractor you don't have the job security of those directly employed.

Deleted not in context sorry

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Ours is not to reason why , ours is just to do or Die . 

Sadly very relevant with building trade but tbf usually the ganger/ foreman is shown to be right. In the Proms case its clear most havent had a clue or bullied contractors into doing as they say or even more annoying what the plans say. And there lies the biggest problem,. Clearly planners and Engineers involved have made seemingly lots of mistakes. And thats being kind . 

I think we have gone a bit off piste here. We were talking about the queue at Ballafletcher. Not class war. The site cabins are right by the road. Anyone associated with the job at the new test centre cannot have failed to notice the queue. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think we have gone a bit off piste here. We were talking about the queue at Ballafletcher. Not class war. The site cabins are right by the road. Anyone associated with the job at the new test centre cannot have failed to notice the queue. 

Oops my mistake , 

Big hold ups at Ballafletcher again too and with the Mountain still being shut, Douglas bound traffic from the North is being funnelled into Onchan and the Prom by the coast road. That's getting to be a mess too, the section from just above Minorca X roads to the Laxey tram Station is particularly rough.

Still, maybe we should be glad that they're actually doing something after diverting budget and resources to their vanity fantasy projects for the past 5 years.

• Like 1

Just checking dates and times as had it in the back of my mind Queens prom works to grind out and fit sealant etc ,  are to be done by 26th. Cant see it as they haven't done the seaside  yet never mind finish land side. Apparently also the whole areas up to Loch and Harris prom is also to be done by 26th . DOI timings , enough said . 

Edited by Numbnuts

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The first time today too I noticed the courtesy crossing outside the Admirals at the top of Regent Street. It’s about 25 feet away from the actual ‘legal’ zebra crossing. Does it have any purpose at all? Is it for if you’re too lazy to walk 25 feet and fancy your chances of getting run over instead? 

Except I am not sure if the striped crossing is actually a zebra crossing or just a lookalike with no more priority for pedestrians than the plain grey one.