Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

50 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Has anyone remarked on how crap some parts of the newly grooved concrete looks yet.

All of the chipped bits where to concrete meets the road are still are still there so now we have chipped bits then wonky black strip and then tarmac.

What a complete waste of time and money.

Not sure but I guess it's just expected to have a shoddy finish?

2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Has anyone remarked on how crap some parts of the newly grooved concrete looks yet.

All of the chipped bits where to concrete meets the road are still are still there so now we have chipped bits then wonky black strip and then tarmac.

Sadly your right. Was stuch waiting in traffic down there today and its not good whats been done. I wouldnt sign it off but there again its that far behind , work standard is terrible , seen the metal work in the roundel bottom of broadway ? , that guess they just want to get away from it now but forgetting we all are going to have this ongoing shambles for years. Some sign of work on the rails at bottom of broadway though. This October and it will be 4 years !! . Anyone think they will be away from the prom by then ??  

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Anyone think they will be away from the prom by then ??  

I imagine they will still be there (unless they "descope" finishing the job off properly to its original plan)

And still be unfinished in 2023 too!.

I assume all this tarmac patching which has now appeared will just be left as is and the plan to have a consistent final finish has been "descoped"

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I imagine they will still be there (unless they "descope" finishing the job off properly to its original plan)

And still be unfinished in 2023 too!.

I assume all this tarmac patching which has now appeared will just be left as is and the plan to have a consistent final finish has been "descoped"

Well no sign of anything being done with the many cracks in the red concrete so that will be interesting what happens there. Wasnt it Rob Callister who suggested it wouldnt be done for 2 years to let businesses recover from the upheaval . 

31 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Well no sign of anything being done with the many cracks in the red concrete so that will be interesting what happens there. Wasnt it Rob Callister who suggested it wouldnt be done for 2 years to let businesses recover from the upheaval . 

Funny Rob has gone very quiet about the promenade and the airport these days , both areas he has had some involvement ,and probable political responsibility 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, emesde said:

I've just been into Douglas looking for a fancy dress outfit for my grandson. He wants a cowboy outfit.  Does anyone know if the DOI is for sale? 🤔

You could go and ask at the new DOI HQ.

It's just been put up behind the Grandstand.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Banker said:

Traffic lights at ballafletcher still, supposedly only until Wednesday originally!! No one working in junction today & tromode road closes Monday for a week, also peel road around snugbourogh traffic lights 9.15-4 starting soon!

Don’t expect too much empathy, obviously  nobody in DOI has to use that route daily! This reply was forwarded to me earlier in answer to the question asked about Tromode Road being closed while the extended traffic lights are still in place on yet another over run scheme in the area…….

“Thank you for your email, unfortunately there may be an overlap between the Ballafletcher Road Works and Tromode Road.  We appreciate this is an inconvenience, and I would imagine those wishing to go beyond Tromode Park Estate would detour onto Ballanard for those few days.”

6 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

They’ve run out of whatever is being used to fill the new groove on Queens promenade so experimenting with alternatives 🙉

0BA4C011-C7BE-4D47-B34D-8593C8E17BD9.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, snowman said:

Should have got rid of the trams entirely or removed the gardens and put a single tram line there. 

Cant agree sorry , the gardens are lovely and on a nice day are well used . One of the few nice features in Douglas. The rest resembles god knows what. Cant say bomb site with whats going on elsewhere ! 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Not sure but I guess it's just expected to have a shoddy finish?

"Shabby Chic" used to be a trend.

DOI have reinvented it, the new standard is "Shoddy Chic".

Commuters are now massively inconvenienced because of the pre-TT rush to catch up on, amongst other things, 5 years-worth of neglected road maintenance, courtesy of achieving that new standard.

• Like 2