Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

When will this end?? 

image.png

It won't. It's eternal job justification as many predicted it would be, going back to the start of this thread is proof of that. If they had got proper UK Civil Engineering contractors in (again, as many suggested) the job could have been finished in 2/3rds of the time and probably less budget.

But that wouldn't have kept the DOI hierarchy looking as occupied and people like Longworth would probably have been put in their place (preferably under it) so getting Billy Smart's Circus to do it was essential for them.

There will be a total cost for this one day, hopefully including putting right what they've neglected in the meantime. One dreads to think what it will be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It won't. It's eternal job justification as many predicted it would be, going back to the start of this thread is proof of that. If they had got proper UK Civil Engineering contractors in (again, as many suggested) the job could have been finished in 2/3rds of the time and probably less budget.

But that wouldn't have kept the DOI hierarchy looking as occupied and people like Longworth would probably have been put in their place (preferably under it) so getting Billy Smart's Circus to do it was essential for them.

There will be a total cost for this one day, hopefully including putting right what they've neglected in the meantime. One dreads to think what it will be.

Harmer said from day one if there was any overspend it had to come out of the DOI budget . Lets see if we ever get to find out the full costs. My guess is we wont.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

The prom is clearly a cock up, but how long was it originally meant to take and where were the trams meant o go down loch prom end?

Come on, be fair, it's 'snagging".  Every construction/civil engineering project has a few issues that need sorting after 'completion'. 

The prom is just that, with an unusually detailed list of snagging issues, like what seems to be a complete rebuild.

More than a disgrace, it is scandalous.  But, hopefully, I am wrong. 

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

But when was it due to be finished and where were the tram tracks meant to go by Jaks?

You might call it snagging  but some people call it extremely poor design  and even poorer quality of workmanship  and materials , 

the workforce will never be away from the  totally unsuitable  surface water drainage system with ducts that fill with stones and sand , ,the constantly moving tram tracks installed with out any expansion joints , and the carriageway narrowed to such an extent in some places   that will result in   traffic deadlock , 

add that to the highly dangerous  non legal pedestrian crossing points and the stone pillars that  easily could hide a child trying to cross the road at the  accident waiting to happen  maize that bottom of broadway has become   

I rest my case !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

But when was it due to be finished and where were the tram tracks meant to go by Jaks?

No idea, and I don't really care.  What I care about is the 'finished' prom still looks like a bomb site, with fencing around debris from high winds and tides,  road closures and traffic control to fix,  and the lack of a safety review on the various features on the bit from the Sea Terminal to Broadway.

TBH, even when finished it will still look like a dog's dinner and has destroyed the character of what was a lovely sweep around the bay.

The bit outside the Gaiety is OK, but why, what does it add?  A bench with one seat taken up by a pretty poor wood carving.  The sculpture of a couple dancing is also nice,  but why not have it elevated with seating around it?

It just looks like me Granny's display cabinet; everything there, but nothing shown to its best advantage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

If you look back Harmer said it would take 2 years and no more than 25 million including design fees etc. The Tram tracks were to go from double tracks at broadway to single through to Sea terminal and along the gardens wall where they have left a grassed area to complete ' maybe' , at a later date. So we are now into about 3 years 6 months from commencement and its not going to be finished anytime soon. A complete and utter disgrace tbh. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

The works are now expected to last until April 2021

A major revamp of Douglas Promenade could last six months longer than originally planned, the infrastructure minister has said.

Ray Harmer said changing the schedule of works to minimise disruption to businesses in the area would "mean a later end date".

The £25m scheme is now expected to be completed in April 2021.

And still counting !!! 

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

It just looks like me Granny's display cabinet; everything there, but nothing shown to its best advantage.

Making comparison with that utterly disgraceful shambles is a thoroughly denigrating and un-necessary insult to Grannies everywhere.. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Come on, be fair, it's 'snagging".  Every construction/civil engineering project has a few issues that need sorting after 'completion'. 

The prom is just that, with an unusually detailed list of snagging issues, like what seems to be a complete rebuild.

More than a disgrace, it is scandalous.  But, hopefully, I am wrong. 

There is only a single thing on the prom snagging list.

1. The Prom

List ends.

• Like 3