Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

On 4/2/2022 at 4:11 PM, Amadeus said:

The issue I have is that the parking suspension implemented by a third party contractor was possibly defective and that people got tickets because of unclear signage. If someone moved the cone in the morning and they saw it and ticketed, fair enough, that’s blatant. But loads of cones were missing by the time I saw it around lunch time and they hammered cars parking in seemingly open spaces with no cones and no signs nearby stating a parking suspension. Fine the contractor, not the drivers. 

Did they issue a suspension of parking order? I didn't see one...

I have asked this, awaiting a reply. Unfortunately, the usual contact person is away until Thursday and his holiday cover is probably swamped under angry appeals from the weekend.

I was told the cones were put out by the contractor, watling street works, and not the police. Apparently, the company doing the remedial works on the road couldn't work properly on that day because the parking suspension was a mess and they've gone back to the UK now, leaving that stretch of road unfinished. Had someone been there to supervise the parking suspension during the day and closed it off properly, that wouldn't have happened. I know some drivers were probably silly in the morning and moved cones but to be honest, seeing DOI staff give tickets to cars over roadworks that wouldn't have been necessary had the DOI done the job right in the first place doesn't look good whichever way you flip it. 

In general, I have to say that DOI parking management is usually quite reasonable and fair. Not perfect by any means but not as bad as you might think. So I'm hoping they will see sense and cancel at least some fines from later in the day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, Omobono said:

well thats a step in the right direction for a change , but didn't see or hear it advertised as such anywhere  not even on the nations mouthpiece MR 

Maybe check your facts before you spout your biased views. Would be a welcome change for us all. 

• Like 1

Google is your freind....

Roadwatch shows the parking suspension in place to 8th April

Amadeus. Stop car farming,,,,,

They were cutting grooves and filling them with a wet mastic type stuff. I was down there today and its done, end of. PEEPS MOVING NO PARKING CONES DESERVE A TICKET.

prom.JPG

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Google is your freind....

Roadwatch shows the parking suspension in place to 8th April

Amadeus. Stop car farming,,,,,

They were cutting grooves and filling them with a wet mastic type stuff. I was down there today and its done, end of. PEEPS MOVING NO PARKING CONES DESERVE A TICKET.

prom.JPG

Just because it's on roadwatch doesn't mean it was signed off...

The photographs, taken in both directions, that Amadeus posted a while ago show the total absence of cones or prohibition notices.

To say that all people needed to do is check Road-watch or look for notices in the newspapers before driving into Douglas is not realistic. If I am driving down the road and see a parking space with no cones or prohibition notices, I will park there.

[Backing out into traffic being dangerous depends where you are and what local standards apply. Where I am at the moment, there are a lot of angled spaces that you drive straight into. When backing out, oncoming traffic is expected to give way. It works, and there is less waiting for people to reverse into a space. IoM standards are not necessarily the best]

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, Youaintseenme said:

Heads up.

This stuff is lethal in a motorbike in the wet.

I know it is temporary but a bit more to slow people down wouldn’t be a bad shout.

I hope it doesn’t catch anyone out while they wait for the weather to warm enough to lay the top coat.

8F847C80-6418-4145-888C-F1F3122E6435.jpeg

Blue panels being manually chipped away at and removed today - looked to be a long process which appears to have left a shallow depression in the road surface that it's been removed from.

• Like 1