Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The photographs, taken in both directions, that Amadeus posted a while ago show the total absence of cones or prohibition notices.

To say that all people needed to do is check Road-watch or look for notices in the newspapers before driving into Douglas is not realistic. If I am driving down the road and see a parking space with no cones or prohibition notices, I will park there.

[Backing out into traffic being dangerous depends where you are and what local standards apply. Where I am at the moment, there are a lot of angled spaces that you drive straight into. When backing out, oncoming traffic is expected to give way. It works, and there is less waiting for people to reverse into a space. IoM standards are not necessarily the best]

Is that because there are two lanes where you are?

10 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

Has Tim, nice but dim, given any timescale on when the mess at the bottom of broadway will be rectified.  Clearly there is some dispute over the tram tracks, but come on lets tidy that 100 m or so up, it looks horrendous.

I've come to quite like that mess! It sort of makes the rest look vaguely respectable. 

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, Youaintseenme said:

Heads up.

This stuff is lethal in a motorbike in the wet.

I know it is temporary but a bit more to slow people down wouldn’t be a bad shout.

I hope it doesn’t catch anyone out while they wait for the weather to warm enough to lay the top coat.

8F847C80-6418-4145-888C-F1F3122E6435.jpeg

I take it they have abandoned putting that stuff on the pavements on the prom then and are just chucking it down wherever they can. 

I really , for the life of me , dont understand why that mess around the unfinished rails cant be cleaned up. A digger, a lorry and a few men would have it done in a day. Its a disgrace and says it all about the organisation and management of the contract. Getting it finished is another story but from what I hear that lies firmly at Longworth's door. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I really , for the life of me , dont understand why that mess around the unfinished rails cant be cleaned up. A digger, a lorry and a few men would have it done in a day. Its a disgrace and says it all about the organisation and management of the contract. Getting it finished is another story but from what I hear that lies firmly at Longworth's door. 

It’s an absolute mess, didn’t crookall say trams would start end of March?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I take it they have abandoned putting that stuff on the pavements on the prom then and are just chucking it down wherever they can. 

They seem to have given up there today. They've chiselled out a square section of one of the blue panels leaving a square in the traffic lane about 2ft x 2ft that's about an inch deeper than the surrounding road surface. No warning signs to warn of this change left in place.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

It’s an absolute mess, didn’t crookall say trams would start end of March?

He did , but FOI and Myprom minutes and Longworth's input indicate it will be 8 to 10 weeks after its completed .Apparentally thats to train staff and horses etc . As its quite a few weeks away at least from that I said August at earliest and its looking like it too. Remember they wont be able to do anything from practice week till after TT. !! Another added issue is Rail inspector isnt happy with gap in rails though the 'expert' Longworth says the alleged 60 mm plus is fine and will work. Rail inspector says should be no more than 32 mm . Caveat, think that figure of 60mm + is correct but might of remembered wrongly.

Edited by Numbnuts

https://iom.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=1298429&bin=Y&auth=0&db=ZVD1ZPdIGvo%3D&access_token=ppTo23szNXXAK33_VSI9bZPajLR7Ctvh5WfH40zzaLMWrziERxuw0IaGc6DCufnT.D0PocK0eA5g7uQTW2RyZLg%3D%3D

worth a read as this is what I'm referring too. Re rails and points and re bottom of Broadway . My feeling is this is one of the reasons that area hasn't been finished .

Edited by Numbnuts

8 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Better get that sea wall built to stop the stones landing on the stupid anti pedestrian bits by the end of the tram line.  Or they could just maintain the beach.

BBDB2C82-7A04-44B4-A8C4-1F9ED11239CD.jpeg

The beach is maintained. A man is handsomely rewarded for driving a tractor around on it almost every day.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The beach is maintained. A man is handsomely rewarded for driving a tractor around on it almost every day.

The beach is an absolute disgrace, I remember it being a great beach when I was younger, now awful & no cafes from villa to terminus 

• Like 2