Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It wouldn't be hard to imagine that one or two contractors might be reluctant to get involved with the DOI in such a scheme again?

Then they bring it in house and expand the civil service?  Keep feeding the pension Ponzi scheme

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It wouldn't be hard to imagine that one or two contractors might be reluctant to get involved with the DOI in such a scheme again?

Blimey. Why not? They'll have made a killing. The contractor's performance has been a disaster and that's been half the problem. The other half being the engineering consultant.

Yes the DOI are accountable at the end of the day, but come on, don't kid yourself they are the only Muppets in this show. 

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

The contractors make sure the contracts favour them and they run rings around the DOI when it goes to dispute. 

There's next to zero that Auldyn will be held accountable for if they carried out the work to the DOI's low standard specs.

Is Auldyn related to Auldyn properties?

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Is Auldyn related to Auldyn properties?

Auldyn is owned now by Colas. Bought them a few years ago when prom was in early stages. Needed to be a Civil engeneering firm to tender I believe hence the acquisition. Auldyn were classed as civil engineers.     

24 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Auldyn is owned now by Colas. Bought them a few years ago when prom was in early stages. Needed to be a Civil engeneering firm to tender I believe hence the acquisition. Auldyn were classed as civil engineers.     

Colas is a massive global group with HQ in France 

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes but think Colas IOM did not fit the criteria for the contract. Clearly the parent company would. Only passing on what I was told at the time. 

when Tony  was in Charge it was a much better run organisation ,and they did bring in experts from the parent company,  but I guess if it could tick a box then it was a simple solution  to give them the work , and the design team and suits at the sea terminal could wash their hands of it ,and blame someone else as we are  seeing happen now , 

38 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I would go for the New Castletown Road between Fairy Bridge and those two big half built houses in Santon that will never sell. Just a patchwork of bumpiness. 

The 100m or so between the Santon motel and Brown Cow has got to be the worst 100m or so of any main road over here. It's laughable.

• Like 4