Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Only if he has moved to manx utilities

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I have no time for Longworth but bit harsh to blame him for a power outage .

It would have freewheeled across after power failed, unless someone braked. That is downhill.

In the design brief that I referred to above, there are some statements relevant to the tram tracks (presented here as images because the FoI response was not textual - absolutely unbelievable!):

The specification of only a 10 tonnes weight capability is, in my opinion, a significant mistake. If the specification had been for a dual-use horse tram and 3 foot gauge light railway system the weight, rail type, and other factors would therefore have been implied and required to be taken into account by the contractor.

Screenshot_2022-04-13_17-27-42.png

Screenshot_2022-04-13_17-29-04.png

Screenshot_2022-04-13_17-28-26.png

Edited by Two-lane
  • Like 1

And here are the statements from a previous FoI request that prompted this FoI request:

Alistair Burroughs : "Dear Ian, The brief for BSA was for the horse tram to be replaced on a like for like basis to a new alignment, and that there should be no scope creep"

Ian Longworth: "Dear Alistair, My understanding was that the brief for the design of the promenade was that for whatever was built was future proofed so that it could operate the horse tram, MER and future light rail. It was never mentioned that this should be exclusively one or the other and this was the raison d’etre behind the purchase of the modern Mersey Tram rail."

BSA was right - the words are "like-for-like". Ian Longworth was wrong. But no-one is going to be fired.

• Like 1

Signs up at the roundel and seems like they are in place so people don’t drive over the pink concrete. Has someone been working on that or is it a defect / chipped away by cars driving over it? Certainly doesn’t look right for a brand new roadway. 

3047C62C-416A-496D-88D7-DB355F6F507A.jpeg

6450A94F-D367-4950-9FB7-6BA234A54C3E.jpeg

EAF6BB63-05E4-4258-9F6E-E028A05421A7.jpeg

84C0FF7B-F5B1-48A1-B717-D780498CB92D.jpeg

F3D4BE45-70FB-4D0A-9122-2F408E34F2BF.jpeg

31FA22F8-B9D3-4488-92DE-715BFDD03C2A.jpeg

AF868B17-B82A-4E97-87EC-20AF19EA987B.jpeg

On 4/13/2022 at 2:46 PM, John Wright said:

It would have freewheeled across after power failed, unless someone braked. That is downhill.

Unlikely, the tram "brakes" are so bad they would have had to apply them in Baldrine to make any difference in that location.

I kid ye not.

I would not get on an MER tram or especially a mountain tram again for a million quid. 

They are unsafe, end of.

14 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Unlikely, the tram "brakes" are so bad they would have had to apply them in Baldrine to make any difference in that location.

I kid ye not.

I would not get on an MER tram or especially a mountain tram again for a million quid. 

They are unsafe, end of.

Ah, go on!

14 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I kid ye not.

They are unsafe, end of.

Well I went on several times last year & always felt safe & hag great journeys.

Just check longworrh isn’t driver before getting on!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I kid ye not.

They are unsafe, end of.

You obviously have not realised the car was heading towards Baldrine and not from.

It is also 5mph over crossings like that but of course with your expertise you would know that already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So who is supposed to park where? Are those metal bars for lycra or leather fans? I’m guessing they are meant for cyclists as there’s a pump at one and there are separate spaces for motorcycles along the prom, but it seems the option to secure a motorbike to the metal frame comes in handy. Another piece of unclear design? 

B9092C81-AF63-4805-A9BD-45E51781F5EC.jpeg

F53C830A-6C24-4BD3-869C-ECAC6E70710C.jpeg

C3A34E64-ACFE-46F0-B0A5-6D66830AF0E3.jpeg

512C600B-CDC7-4572-BB52-D19943671BC7.jpeg