Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

18 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Didn't the Police say just recently that they were cracking down on pavement parking?

Good luck with that one around and in TT time . No way your stopping bikers parking on the prom pavements as tbh theres no where else really to do so .

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

So who is supposed to park where? Are those metal bars for lycra or leather fans? I’m guessing they are meant for cyclists as there’s a pump at one and there are separate spaces for motorcycles along the prom, but it seems the option to secure a motorbike to the metal frame comes in handy. Another piece of unclear design? 

B9092C81-AF63-4805-A9BD-45E51781F5EC.jpeg

F53C830A-6C24-4BD3-869C-ECAC6E70710C.jpeg

C3A34E64-ACFE-46F0-B0A5-6D66830AF0E3.jpeg

512C600B-CDC7-4572-BB52-D19943671BC7.jpeg

That bay is for solo motorcycles only. Its quite clear from the pictures, they have come in pairs....

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Didn't the Police say just recently that they were cracking down on pavement parking?

They did but the police don't seem to want to know about that or vehicles parked on double yellows or junctions or cyclists riding on pavements, cycling wrong way down one way streets or jumping through red lights etc etc.

Those sort of things seem to be not trendy enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

for cyclists as there’s a pump at one

And a public house in the near vicinity. I predict that late one Friday or Saturday night that rubber tube will be used in a way that was not intended - and if so, I really don't want to know the details.

Lots of the 500,000 visitors a year will undoubtedly be motorcycle mounted so it's all just a way of coping with the overspill of parked bikes on the Prom...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

When it blocks the pavement, yes. These bikes aren't as it's an area designated for parking bikes. Now, if it should be used by motorbikes is another issue

Is it~? There aren't any signs saying so?  They would also need to ride their motorbike over a pedestrian area?

Maybe that's what 'shared space' means???

Sure TT week is a free for all but I doubt the planners would have evisioned this kind of shared space?

( If they had any idea of their planned outcome)!!!

Edited by Kopek

8 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There's a pump!!

I had no idea. I rescind all my previous disparaging comments about the promenade situation, bow down in the glory of the designers.

A pump to blow up flat tyres? Why not a battery charger to charge up motorists flat batteries?

Why do we keep pandering to, and spending our taxes on these selfish people?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Amadeus said:

So who is supposed to park where? Are those metal bars for lycra or leather fans? I’m guessing they are meant for cyclists as there’s a pump at one and there are separate spaces for motorcycles along the prom, but it seems the option to secure a motorbike to the metal frame comes in handy. Another piece of unclear design? 

Well you aren’t allowed to ride a motorcycle on a pavement, so that answers your question as to who they’ve been designed for, I can’t imagine for one minute these motorcyclists have dismounted and pushed their motorcycles into these locations, maybe if it’s shared space it’s considered fair game?

Now I’ve said that, I’m also guilty of parking my motorcycle on big/wide pavements such as these, here is my excuses I don’t actually like parking near other motorcycles because if someone slips/falls getting off their bike then all the bikes fall over like dominos (I’ve seen it happen, smashed crankcases and leaking oil+ fuel is really not a pretty sight) I’d probably take my chances between those metal hoops though. I tend to avoid motorcycle bays next to any car parking for much the same reason, the other reason is slightly more cheeky, most of the motorcycle bays are still in a 2 hour disc zone and I’ve never had a ticket for parking on a pavement and sometimes I’ve been there for 8+ hours.